Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Bittersweet Memorial

I was watching the telecast of Michael Jackson's memorial on cable earlier. And I know that every single blogger in this blogspot, and in all other blogging sites, have posted at least one blog about the King of Pop. I'm not trying to jump on the bandwagon, but lil' Miss I-got-an-opinion-to-everything just can't help but muse over the memorial service I saw on TV. so here goes.....

A eulogy, to me, is like a person's last ditch effort to honor a deceased person's memory and to perhaps, say the things they never got the chance to say to that person while he was still alive. I know that's the definition of a eulogy. But I just can't help but muse over this... Why wait til that person's dead to say all the wonderful things about that person? I mean, yes, that's what eulogies are about and I know that's precisely the reason there's a thing called eulogy in a memorial service but what I don't get is why can't we say all of this to a living person. I'm sure all of these wonderful things someone has to say to the deceased would've made quite an impact to that person's life. Hearing someone say, "you have touched my life in so many ways" or, "your laugh is the most innocent of all" sure counts as a wonderful speech and a poignant remembrance but well... It's a little too late.

My point here is that, things like this are best said when the person you're referring to can actually hear it. The positive influence a person in someone's life, the way they have moved u, the tiniest detail that makes that certain person endearing, in my point of view, should be expressed while a person is still alive. Sure it may sound too sappy, showering a person with compliments and adoration, but little do we know how these things matter to that person. How a simple "thank you, you are a lifesaver" or "you have the most kind, caring and gentle person i have ever known in my life" can mean so much to someone. In our busy and hectic lifestyle, we tend to neglect giving out simple compliments to the people that touch our lives. We always tend to procrastinate on this because we always assume that they know this already, or that we can always wait for a special moment to come up. We get caught up with keeping up in the rat race and dealing with our lives that what we want to say to this person dissipates because once again, the daily grind takes over our consciousness. Only when it's too late do we find the time to remember how this person made a difference and how we always wanted to say something to them, but we just didn't have the chance to do so. Perhaps this is one reason why people break down and cry when they deliver their eulogy.

After ranting and going on and on about how a eulogy may have been much more appreciated if the deceased could hear it, I say this: for as long as the person we care about and cherish more than anything else in the world is alive, breathing and can hear us, let's not be stingy in expressing how much they mean to us. A simple expression of gratitude, an unabashed expression of our love and admiration would be very much appreciated and could bring so much joy to that person while he's still alive. Who knows what we've been neglecting to say to them could have made them hang on and fight to live til the very end. I know that may sound like I'm going over the edge a little, but the point is, don't wait til it's too late. Every second in our lives is an opportunity to express what we've been meaning to say to a person that we care about and we should not let that pass. Seize the moment, say what you want to say to your loved one and make them feel just how special they are to you.

No comments: