Friday, July 3, 2009

Putting on a beaming smile, wearing my sunday's best, it's time for work



It's Friday again, the start of work. I work only on the weekends, at a night market or a bazaar at a popular hangout called Matina Town Square. Every week, I rent a stall on their night market section to sell brand new ladies clothes and accessories. It's my 6th week, and so far, everything's well and I am having a great time doing this.

People are baffled at my sudden 180degree turn, after all, I am a registered nurse, who just passed the most feared nursing exam of all, the NCLEX and the obvious and logical step after that would be to start working at the hospital, even if it means I have to pay them up so they hire me and train me. But... I opted to do this. I need to work at the hospital, yes, to earn some relevant training and polish my skills, but after reviewing and studying nursing, I think i deserve a break from it, and pursue what I love most: engaging in business.

I don't earn much from doing night market. I manage to make back rent and my capital over the items I put up for sale on my stall, but it's that sense of achievement and the thought that hey, I can support myself, that gets me all pumped up to go and sell every weekend. It may not be a high paying job but it is certainly a fulfilling one. Whatever I earn over the weekend is certainly not a fixed rate and my earnings depend on a lot of factors such as my stall's location, the weather, and of course, the number of shoppers. The last two weeks have been quite slow, but that's not reason enough to get disheartened. That's just how the wheels of business and peddling goes. We'll bounce back from this slump. The key is never giving up, and face the struggles of my work with passion and enthusiasm. And it's so true what they say about doing the thing you love most. No amount of money can ever compare to that sense of gratification you feel when you're engaging in something that interests you. It's something I can be proud of, little as it may be, because it's something I put so much effort in, and every Saturday night, when we take down our fixtures and pack up our stocks, I shake my head, chuckle silently and say to myself, "This is one hell of a weekend, I can't wait to go through all of this again next week". :)

2 comments:

siella said...

hi rhow, it's been a while... i'm doing good pirting paningka hehe... how r u na? like your items...

siella said...

hi rhow, it's been a while... i'm doing good pirting paningka hehe... how r u na? like your items...