Friday, March 18, 2011

Must... Speak.... English.... For 15 Minutes At Most


So here I am again, about to embark in another exam to prove my English language prowess. To be honest, I am a bit nervous. Sure, I have been taught English since I was in preschool however, it's a whole new arena once someone (In this case, the IELTS) measures just how well you can use the language in just one sitting.

The exam has four parts: Speaking, Writing, Listening and Reading. Tomorrow, I will be sitting the Speaking part of the exam. As for the three other parts, I will be sitting those on Saturday.

What's really unnerving about the Speaking part is that they can ask you anything and everything under the sun. And it's not exactly what you know about the topic, it's how you communicate and handle the conversation. And another thing is that, it's pretty much subjected as to how the interviewer assesses your skills in using the language. It all depends on how you make use of your vocabulary, the way you construct your sentences and your pronunciation. At this point, you might be thinking, "ok she knows what it's all about then why are you nervous?" The reason why I feel this is that first off, English is not my native language. It's pretty difficult, not to mention tasking, translating your thoughts into English and actually blurting it out as you do your mental translation. And in relation to that, I am sitting an exam; where the words I choose to use, the way I construct my sentences, my grammar, the number of pauses and the coherence and the substance of what I'm yapping about are being rated. But the thing I am most worried about is: what if the interviewer gives me a topic to talk about which I have absolutely no clue whatsoever. Oh my gosh... Just the thought of that makes me weak in the knees.

At this point, it's almost as if I'm facing a dark room with a faint light from a candle. Although I'm feeling butterflies in my stomach, I feel like some sense of calmness engulfing my anxiety. After all, this isn't the first time I took on such task. "I have done this before, and I did pretty darn good,"that's what I'll tell myself over and over again up until I fall asleep tonight. So... Good luck to me, I'll do my best and work hard to earn the same mark, if not surpass it.

Gambate!

No comments: