Monday, July 11, 2011

My 30 List

I just hit the big 3-O last May and just got through a devastating experience two weeks ago. This has caused me to sit and ponder on what I have done the past 3 decades. Everyone, at one point in their life, have done some sort of self-awareness. And as I went along with my whole self-awareness experience, a question popped into my head: "What else do I want to achieve before I hit another milestone?"

So I sat on that thought for a few minutes, with my cup of coffee in one hand, and jotted down the things I wish to achieve the day I turn 35.

And so here it is: the 30 things I must do before I hit 35.



1. Readjust my body clock. I am nocturnal. I know... that is pretty bad not only for my skin, but for my general health. I know this takes time, because staying up really late has become chronic for me, and well, the good news is, I'm starting to sleep earlier now. I'm confident that pretty soon, I'll be able to snooze off early, just like the rest of y'all.

2. Eat more vegetables and fruits. When I was a kid, eating veggies was like a punishment for me. But now that I'm older, I realize that yes, my mother was right, I need to eat veggies because not only are they nutritious, but also very beneficial to my health. And since I'm hitting middle age, I need to be more conscious of what I eat.


3. Choose milk over coffee. I am not a big fan of milk even when I was little. But I should bring myself to consume more milk because women are highly likely to develop osteoporosis as they age. And it's a medical fact that coffee depletes our body's calcium stores so yikes... need to change my preferences now. And a little advanced planning wouldn't hurt. I need to stock up on calcium deposits while I'm still in my early thirties so as not to catch that disease when I hit menopause.

4. Wear sunscreen. Okay... I'm guilty of abusing my skin. I rarely put on sunscreen when I was younger because I don't particularly enjoy seeing my face looking oily but *sigh* I really wish I could turn back time and change my perspective. But oh well... better late than never.

5. Lose 8 kilograms. My battle with the bathroom scale has been long standing and very challenging. Back in high school I was really skinny but when I hit my early twenties, I started putting on some weight and before I knew it, I was a plus-size. I had tried all the crash diets, slimming pills and tea but to no avail. It was a good thing that when I hit 26, I started losing weight, by natural means aka zipping my piehole and eating smaller proportions and cutting back on snacks. And I'm really happy that I lost around 12 kilos ever since and I know this may be a little far-fetched, but I really wanna get my high school figure back. I'm 8 kilograms short of it, and this task is kind of a priority for me. *crosses fingers*

6. Wear a bikini and not feel self-conscious about it. This is somewhat related to #5. And yep... I know this is kind of shallow but I owe it to myself.

7. Get curls. I hated my wavy mane so I get a Rebond treatment for my hair at least twice a year. I can't remember how my hair looked like when it was all wavy, so hmm how about I try out a different hairstyle, at least once before I hit 35. I could always have it straightened anyway if I hate the look haha.


8. Wear make-up more often. I only wear make-up on special occasions and at night. I don't wear that much make-up during the day because of the weather in my country. It's very hot and humid, so your make-up would just melt away before it hits noon. But yeah, since I'm no longer a girl, maybe it's time I doll myself up before I leave the house.

9. Kick the bad habits. I have my vices and no need to elaborate, I need to kick em out.

10. Learn to accept compliments. Whenever someone pays me a compliment, I would be all flustered and sometimes I would dismiss the compliment and say to myself that they were just being polite. Must learn how to be more appreciative and say, "Thank you."

11. Read the newspaper. These days, I don't read the paper because I'd rather watch the news than read it. I used to read the paper everyday, from the front page down to the entertainment section but now, I hardly do that because I rely solely on the television and the internet.

12. Read more books, watch less television. When I was a kid I love to read, but that has changed as I grew older.

13. Spend less time on Facebook. Now that is going to be a huge challenge, but I'm up for it. I have to admit, FB takes up so much of my waking hours, and robs me of my much needed beauty rest, so yeah... I need to reclaim what's rightfully mine. Good luck to myself haha.

14. Drive a truck. By truck, I mean a lorry, cargo truck, prime mover, etc, not a pick-up truck. Kinda silly really but I just want to have a first hand experience of driving a HUGE vehicle.

15. Go on a holiday somewhere in Asia. I love travelling, and I made an oath to myself that I will, someday, visit most, if not all, countries in Asia. Asia is so rich in culture, and I want to experience and bask in all of it. The top 3 on my list are: Burma  (Soe's home country), Vietnam, and Korea.

At Mongkok, the shopping district in
HongKong,with my sister
16. Visit Hong Kong  for the 4th time. I've been to HK on three occasions, and every visit is a totally new experience. And each visit makes me fall in love with the country even more.

17. Learn a third language. I am fluent in both Filipino and English and I thought to myself, maybe learning to speak a third language wouldn't hurt.In fact, it would be awesome! Communication bridges a lot of barriers, and a third language could open a myriad of opportunities for me.

18. Ride a roller coaster (again). I am such a chicken when it comes to roller coasters. I just can't get over my fear of it, especially when you're like... so high up in the air, and you plummet to the ground at mind-boggling speed. Ugh, I remember my last roller coaster ride about 5 years ago: I was close to tears and even if I tried to scream my lungs out, I just couldn't; no sound would ever come out of my gaping mouth >.<". The only thing that stopped me from screaming "make it stop please!" was the little kid in front of me, waving his hands in the air. screaming in sheer delight.

19. Own a pair of designer shoes. I love shoes. Apart from gadgets and electronics, that's where I chuck most of my savings. But designer shoes are friggin expensive. But hmp, one day, before I hit 35, I will own my very own pair of designer shoes.

20. Sing in front of a crowd. I love to sing, and according to my friends, I have a pretty good voice. I sang with a band before, but that was a long time ago, back when I was in my teens. Might as well do it again, for old time's sake. ;)

21. Learn to swim. After that horrific flood we suffered, it made me realize that I must learn to swim. If the water reached past our roof, I would have been in a more terrible position.

22. Eat an exotic dish. I'm pretty squeamish when it comes to food, I can't even eat balut which is a delicacy in my country. Need to get over it and try something out of the ordinary. ;)

23. Have over 100 followers. It's a long shot, but who knows right? ;)

Okay... Time to get to the heavy stuff. The previous posts are a little trivial, and there are more serious things I need to accomplish before I hit mid-30's. 

At Circular Quay,
Sydney Opera House at the back
24. Move to a different country. I've always wanted to move to Australia, and start a life of my own there. When I visited that place last year, I fell in love with it. And I wanna live there permanently. I'm in the process of working out a way to move there, so, wish me luck. 

25. Find a stable job. I will need to fend for myself when I move, and in order to do that, I need a stable job to support myself. Pretty logical, isn't it?

26. Own/rent my own place. I have not lived on my own my whole life. I really need to go out of my comfort zone, like... really soon.

27. Get married. I am not getting any younger, and my biological clock's ticking fast. And even though being single is such a blast, I'm kind of getting tired of the chase. And I hope and pray my boyfriend is the one. There's no other person I can see myself end up with except him.  

28. Have kids. In the past, I keep saying, I'm not ready for kids yet. Not that I'm yearning for one right now, but  it would love to have a kid before I hit 35.

29. Juggle a career and having a family. There's no better feeling than having a career even though you have a family.The key to success here is balance. 

With dad and mom
30. Be able to give back to my parents. They have given me so much, even more than they need to, and I just want to give something back, not as repayment, or as a form of gratitude, but because I love them dearly.

19 comments:

Ask Erena said...

What a cute post! Thank you for visiting my blog! Of course I am following back..
hugs,
xx
Ask Erena
http://askerena.blogspot.com

Carrymel said...

Loved this post!

Okay, first of all - I did NOT know you were 30! :D you look sooo young, I was sure you were in your early to mid 20's!

I like a lot of the goals you have. You want to accomplish a lot in the next 5 years and that's good. I wish you nothing but the best. I also want to try to wear makeup more (a little more), but I'm not looking forward to spending money on it.

I totally want to learn another language too. I think that life is short and you should try to get the most out of it that you can. I always said that if I had to live forever, I would learn every language so I could communicate with everyone.

I wanna learn to swim too! & I'm kinda afraid of roller coasters as well! & I don't own a pair of designer heels either (I have some sneakers, that I never wear, I might add).

I love that you did this post! Makes me want to re-visit my bucket list.

ChiChi81 said...

@Ask Erena: thank you for stopping by. I'm looking forward to reading your posts ;)

@Carrymel: Aww, thanks hun! okay now that's one compliment I'm accepting with open arms haha woots! I've got one task crossed out, thanks to that haha ;)

Oh hun, we really need to learn how to swim, not only so that we won't be the odd ones out when we hit the pool or the beach, but it's for safety reasons. After what I've gone through, had the water reached beyond where we were holed up, I would be in grave danger.

And yah, since I love to have conversations, learning a new language may not be that bad after all. Bilingual's fine, but multilingual is way cooler haha ;p

Bucket lists are a good way of getting yourself out of procrastination. I am guilty of that for practically my whole life. There's so much out there that we can achieve only if we sat down and list the things that we want to achieve. Though yes, it may sound like it's been said and done for far too many times but it's a good way to motivate ourselves to make the right steps, make the good decisions that will ultimately lead us to crossing off items on our list.

Having a plan, no matter how trivial or incredulous they may be, is way better than having no plan at all. ;)

Once again, thank you for your lovely comment. And thanks for the well wishes, I sure hope that in 5 years, all of these shall be ticked off my bucket list so that I can make new ones when I hit 40 ;)

Amber said...

Love this post! Some of your goals are similar to my own, I'd love to go travelling, to go around america would be amazing! I'd like to learn spanish better too, I'm not so good right now aha.

hope you had a good 30th, you really look so much younger! #10 accept compliments


http://www.fashionisabearsbestfriend.blogspot.com/

ChiChi81 said...

@Amber: I'm really glad you enjoyed this post and haha thank you so much for the compliment. I hope we both realize our goals. And good luck with your spanish, I'm sure it will improve tremendously in time ;)have a nice day!

Cindy Karmoko said...

love this post!thank you for sharing! i hope my bf will be the one too

http://hippiegonemad.blogspot.com/

The Cat Hag said...

This is a fantastic, and very realistic list which I can foresee you would end up achieving all of them. :)


xoxo,
Addie
The Cat Hag

Diane CMP :) said...

That's great! I'm planning the same things like yours :) looking forward for more post :) i'm following. follow back?

http://whatsrealityallabout.blogspot.com/

Mela said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog!! Of course I follow you back...:)
Hope to see you soon on my blog again...:)
Mela xx

http://melamusings.blogspot.com

Jessica-Marie said...

Very cute 30 things to do ! I definitely agree with them all :) Thank you for participating in my giveaway, I followed you <3

Haze said...

No way are you turning 30! Thanks for sharing with us your goals. Sounds a lot like my list, ie learn to swim lol, designer shoes, some Cls wouldn't hurt. Good luck with everything let us know your progress.

xxo
http://www.iamheizl.blogspot.com/

yoli said...

I wish you luck with your goals!

Joy Chou said...

I can relate to so many of these things! Love the adorable post. I would like to give back to my parents more too.


tacosandfreecandy.blogspot.com

yoli said...

I wish you luck with your goals!

Cindy Karmoko said...

love this post!thank you for sharing! i hope my bf will be the one too

http://hippiegonemad.blogspot.com/

Carrymel said...

Loved this post!

Okay, first of all - I did NOT know you were 30! :D you look sooo young, I was sure you were in your early to mid 20's!

I like a lot of the goals you have. You want to accomplish a lot in the next 5 years and that's good. I wish you nothing but the best. I also want to try to wear makeup more (a little more), but I'm not looking forward to spending money on it.

I totally want to learn another language too. I think that life is short and you should try to get the most out of it that you can. I always said that if I had to live forever, I would learn every language so I could communicate with everyone.

I wanna learn to swim too! & I'm kinda afraid of roller coasters as well! & I don't own a pair of designer heels either (I have some sneakers, that I never wear, I might add).

I love that you did this post! Makes me want to re-visit my bucket list.

ChiChi81 said...

@Amber: I'm really glad you enjoyed this post and haha thank you so much for the compliment. I hope we both realize our goals. And good luck with your spanish, I'm sure it will improve tremendously in time ;)have a nice day!

Ask Erena said...

What a cute post! Thank you for visiting my blog! Of course I am following back..
hugs,
xx
Ask Erena
http://askerena.blogspot.com

Blackswan said...

Wi, thks for sharing your list of 30! Lose 8kg?? U look good here. Why do u need to lose weight? Hahaha!

I hardly wear make-up too, only to work & on special occasions. I'm also thinking if I should do it more often.......

Wi, make S'pore your top 3 destinations. Heehee! Eh, I'm a shoe fanatic & I own almost a 100 pairs of shoes at one time, more than half are designers. Oops!

Yes, quickly get married & raise beautiful kids :)