Saturday, July 16, 2011

Shoe Triage 101

CAUTION TO MY SHOEHOLIC READERS: The following images may be a little upsetting for you to see....


Today, I just finished sorting out the stuff we had washed, cleaned and disinfected after the flood. It was a painstaking task to do, and I was quite half-hearted to do it because it takes me back to the time when I opened up my closet and saw the havoc that flood had wreaked. But we must move on, salvage the ones that can be saved and let go of the ones that can't be.

As I mentioned before, I love shoes. I spent a significant amount of my earnings buying shoes and being the packrat that I am, they kind of piled up over the years. I can't let go of them, unless they are just blatantly unusable. So you can just imagine the horror and the heartbreak the minute I opened the shoe cabinet, went through my shoe rack (or what's left of it) and saw what has happened to my precious collection.

ALL of my shoes were covered in mud. Those that were in the shoe cabinet have been immersed, submerged, and floating in flood water for about 3-5 hours. Those that I had placed on my shoe rack (the recently used ones) had either drifted off as the water receded or had floated around the premises of our house and our yard. I washed all of them, disinfected them with Lysol and did an inventory. Some were missing a pair, some were not in bad shape, just muddy, while some needed to be put down. (ouch)

After the washing, disinfecting and drying process, I had to sort them out. And this is what happened to some of my precious babies...

R.I.P.

Front 
damage at the heel part >.<

My favorite (and only) pair of red flats >.<" It's all tattered up and the sole is flapping. Just by the look of it, yeah... It's time to say goodbye to it. Sayonara, my dearest Scarlet shoe... T.T


My Rosebud Step-In Sandals ;'( The leather on the flower and leaf design had chipped off and you can see the obvious cracking at the front.  I had to let go of this one too *sigh* 



This is the biggest upset of all.... My most treasured pair of heels. I only got to wear them twice or thrice, and have been taking good care of it, placing it in it's box and waiting for another chance to strut them around. It's made of suede and if you look closely, the suede has faded, the sole and the peep-toe part have detatched themselves from the inner lining. I dunno if it can still be repaired, but I'm pre-conditioning myself that this is the gruesome death of my beloved heels.


50/50 CHANCE OF SURVIVAL


These two aren't badly damaged, they were also immersed and submerged in flood water, but thank God the soles and the lining did not separate BUT since they're made of cloth, they shrank *crycry*. My sis reckons maybe if I wore them more often, they would eventually expand back to their original size. I just HOPE they do.... 

GLIMMER OF HOPE


My stilletos! I saw this floating in the water, still inside its box, drifting out of our house so I made a very brave attempt to fish it out from the water and pull it up to the roof where we were holed up. 


My gladiator sandals...  I bought this in Hong Kong two years ago and carries quite a sentimental value. This one is my most used and abused pair since it matches most of my outfits. I'm so happy I was able to salvage this. 


My Santa Barbara Polo and Racquet Club wedges, also bought in Hong Kong. Again, one of my favorite pair of wedge shoes, and same with my brown glads, I have quite an affection for this pair and has been with me to all of my travels because they're quite comfy and matches most of my outfits.


My khaki-coloured wedge gladiators. I bought this recently at a night market and I only used it a couple of times. 

So I guess yeah, to sum it up, I shouldn't feel so bad. Sure, there may have been casualties, either badly damaged beyond repair or missing a pair, but at least I still have a few pairs left. The ones that survived will have to do. I mean, there's nothing I can do but accept what's in front of me. Life goes on, and there are more shoes out there waiting to grace my feet. 

Have a happy weekend, my dear readers. (^.^)v

9 comments:

Carrymel said...

my gosh you have a lot of shoes! lol well I'm happy that you were able to salvage a few, that's certainly better than nothing. At the end of the day, you can get other shoes, y'know? At least you're safe!

Have a good weekend, honey!

Andrea Marie said...

I'm so sorry to hear bout the flooding! And man what a tragedy..those red flats are awesome! :( My favorite part of this post were the last 2 sentences "Life goes on. And there are more shoes out there to grace my feet"....How incredibly true! :)

Also I think it's awesome that you own a thrift store!! I've always wanted to open one up myself! Someday...hehe

xo//Andrea Marie
http://peaceloveandreamarie.blogspot.com

ChiChi81 said...

@Carrymel: lol yah, i got quite a collection, but the number is cut quite significantly now lol

@Andrea Marie: the red flats were a stand-out but haiz... some good things have to come to an end lol and yah, thrift stores are great. Whenever I restock it's like I'm shopping for myself lol

The Cat Hag said...

Can you believe I actually teared reading this?!

Because I can totally understand your pain. My clothes, shoes and accessories have been painstakingly collected by me over the years, some to the point of searching for years for them so to see your precious shoes all destroyed or damaged makes me really sad.

I am glad you weren't hurt in the flood but sometimes its the loss of material things that get to us.

BIG HUG from me to you. ♥♥ Hope you feel better soon!


xoxo,
Addie
The Cat Hag

Haze said...

Gosh! That is so heartbreaking. I love shoes as well and sometimes you save and save for that one pair that you really want. I'm glad some of them made it okay. On the bright side, at least you have more room for new ones :) Glad your okay though.

xxo
http://www.iamheizl.blogspot.com/

Anna said...

I would go into deep despair if my shoe collection was damaged. I couldn't replace them either - who has the money?

Joy Chou said...

For the shoes that shrunk... you can probably take them to a shoe repair shop and have them stretched for a minimal fee! I'm so sorry for your loss (es).

tacosandfreecandy.blogspot.com

Anna said...

I would go into deep despair if my shoe collection was damaged. I couldn't replace them either - who has the money?

Andrea Marie said...

I'm so sorry to hear bout the flooding! And man what a tragedy..those red flats are awesome! :( My favorite part of this post were the last 2 sentences "Life goes on. And there are more shoes out there to grace my feet"....How incredibly true! :)

Also I think it's awesome that you own a thrift store!! I've always wanted to open one up myself! Someday...hehe

xo//Andrea Marie
http://peaceloveandreamarie.blogspot.com