Monday, August 22, 2011

Weekend Report: Quatre

Weekend Outfit
Top: Thrifted
Shorts: From Night Market (old)
Shoes: Primadonna (local brand)
Yet another weekend flew by, and this has been one of the most hectic yet fun weekend I had for quite sometime now. Ok so let's start this one, shall we?

It was the Kadayawan Festival* in my city last week. Just a short overview, the festival is a week-long celebration  of bountiful harvest (August is the month of plenty for my forefathers). The city streets come alive with street markets and stalls at various locations within the city and a lot of tourists come to the city to take part and experience such event. Nearly all the shops have a sale going on, so yup, nearly everyone goes on a frenzy to score some really great bargain. And during the weekend, the real fun takes place. Some streets are closed down in order to make way for the much awaited "Indak-Indak sa Dalan" (translated as street dancing) and the day after that, the Floral Float Parade takes place.

Unfortunately for me, I wasn't able to watch the streetdancing. I had to man the shop and do payroll.  *boohoo* But when I got to the shopping mall to meet up with my sister and our friends for a night out on the town, I was able to witness this:

 


 

Dancers doing a traditional tribal dance called "Sagayan" (if I'm not mistaken) WITHIN the department store! Fantastic! I may not have witnessed the street dancing earlier that day, but I was able to see this. Second chances are a blessing, really. And a little trivia: As you can see from the costumes these lovely dancers are wearing, you can observe a distinct similarity with our Malaysian and Indonesian brothers and sisters since our island (Mindanao) is very close to these two countries which fostered trade and the intermingling of our cultures.

When everyone had arrived at our meeting place, we all decided to experience the "Piging" (trans. party; how fitting) or the night market and have our dinner over there. And when we got there, oh boy, you can totally feel the celebratory mood of the people as music was blasting over the place and the entire street was filled with stalls selling barbecue and all sorts of street food. We finally found a table at one of the stalls, and had our gourmet dinner ala streetfood.

 


my sis and our friends enjoying our dinner
Dinner was great! The food was delish and it was really affordable, a value for money spent. After dinner, we decided to bask in the celebration and par-tey. Haha... Nearly all the bars, clubs and all the nightspots are hosting their own celebrations so we decided to give it a go and have a great time. 

Destination: Route 88! We got there early, so the manager decided to waive the entrance fee for us! Haha, yosh! Lucky! They had a DJ spinning live club/hip-hop music on an open air lounge area so yep, it was really refreshing and totally relaxing than going to a stuffed up club. And the really amazing part was that, they were giving out free tequila shots to all their guests. Haha... of course we didn't say no to that ;p 




Free Tequila shots! hahaha Gosh, how I love freebies

a bunch more friends followed us there

and soon after, my cousin came by and joined us

me, my cousin and my sister

And as for Sunday, I spent it with my family, heard mass and had a quiet lunch at one of dad's favourite resto, and watched the floral float parade on TV *haha*. A pretty good way to cap off such an exciting and fun-filled weekend.

So there you have it, my Kadayawan weekend. Apart from the partying, I say it was a pretty fantastic weekend. Not only was I able to witness yet another year of "bountiful harvest" in my own terms, but I was also able to enjoy a lovely night out with my friends. Moments like these are unforgettable, and are indeed, a blessing. So from us here in Davao City, Madayaw!

(link gives you a full overview of the event) 

28 comments:

Bravoe Runway said...

Ooo what a lovely event! I always love attending cultural events to see the costues, the music and of course....TRY THE FOOD! Everything looks delicious and you look like you thoroughly enjoyed yourself on this weekend! Your real sis is so cute ;)

ChiChi81 said...

@Bravoe Runway: Thanks, sis! I had a blast this weekend ;) And yeah, she's adorable isn't she? People say we hardly have any resemblance tho lol

The Vogue Advisor said...

Nice blog!!!
Kisses from Italy...
Laura
THE VOGUE ADVISOR

Chari T said...

NICE SHOES! I would love to have witnessed the dancing!!!!!!
Chari T (deep fried stilettos)xxx

Sylar said...

nice post :P
+follow

Silvia ♥ said...

Nice pictures :), xoxo.
silviajani.blogspot.com

Fashionistable said...

Sorry you missed the dancing. Looks like you made up for it anyway. I wish you another year filled with bountiful harvests. Xxxx

Mikimoto Angel said...

Wow, I envy you for celebrating Kadayawan. I don't celebrate our city's festivals because of parental constraints. Hopefully next year I can finally enjoy Davao's festivities. :-)

Meagan said...

That festival looks like so much fun and I love your sandals.
-Meagan
http://spunkychateau.blogspot.com

lhamo Mashutzo said...

yet another long post with lovely lovely pictures.....
i cant wait to have a good times with my friends now...
very natural photographs..
:)
keep posting...

The Cat Hag said...

That is such a super fun weekend, I can see why you were exhausted! :)

But it's weekends like these that are uber special. ♥

I can only hope for a restful weekend for myself soon!


xoxo,
Addie
The Cat Hag

Peiyinn said...

That's great festival! You have so much fun in the weekend :D

Mitha Komala said...

thank you for commenting :) btw ive followed you back dear <3

Ciccia said...

What a fun day you had! I love cultural shows. Those Primadonna shoes are gorgeous, we also have a shop here in Roma, they have good prices and good quality.

Amanda Nguyen said...

cuuuuute outfit!! i'm in love with the sandals!!
what a fun time at route 88.....so exciting when there's no cover charge!! looks like you and your friends had such a fun night!!!!!

<3Amanda
feast.fashion.faves

the nyanzi report said...

i love cultural events simply for the fashion. this looks like it was spectacular.

jill said...

wow, I just stumbled on your blog and I love your sense of style! I'm definitely following.

x. jill
www.thoseghosts.blogspot.com

Joanna K. said...

I just found your blog, it's very nice really I love it!
Check out mine I'd love your opinion!!

Kisses

Dale said...

Just found your blog, this festival looks like so much fun and I like all the pics of the food and you and your friends. That's too bad you couldn't enjoy it a little more because you were working there.

Following you now
xoDale
www.savvyspice.blogspot.com

Rapuncela said...

You spent great time :)) dancers are cool :D :D and I must say it... You have perfect sandals!!!!!! kisses :*

MEOW said...

wow looks like u had a great weekend! :)
i spent mine packing my stuff hahaha joy joy :P
i love local festivals! it feels so good... we have a few mini festivals where i live too :) but we have a big one every year in july~~ its like the annual main event that happens in my city! but i missed it this year due to my job being outside of home :( but i will not miss it next year! hahaha

and regarding ur question.. im actually a lab tech :) i work at the hospital lab! i dont super like wearing scrubs... so i try to make it fun by buying cute ones hehe :D

ade kurnianingrum handika putri said...

thats must be a great moment :)
thanks for following me dear , i've just follow you back ♥

Aura said...

Sounds like a great weekend!

Aura
www.littlebitsoffashion.com

amy b.s. said...

how cool. your weekend looks quite amazing!

Prasetyo said...

Nice blog post brow.

Don't forget to visit me back, wokey !!!

augustalolita said...

wonderful photos!! makes me miss the philippines even more!!

Jen said...

I love reading about your life. So much fun. And those sandals you are wearing are too cute. <333

http://thesexylittleblog.blogspot.com/

keschen said...

love your sandals.. and your pictures are lovely.. looks fun.

im having a giveaway for a Casio Gold Watch so check it out:
http://raindropsofred.blogspot.com/2011/08/get-your-swag-on-giveaway.html

xoxo

ps: if you don't mind me asking, where are you from?