Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Primers And Sealants Are Not Merely for Plumbing and House Painting


Though I am in my third decade of existence, I have to admit, I am a noob at making myself look like a woman. I'm not saying I look like a man or something, no no... not in that sense. What I mean is: I'm not really good at dolling up. I am a total NOOB at putting on make-up. To me, the concept of putting on make-up was to dab some pressed powder on and if I was feeling "inspired" then I would dab on a coat of lipstick and sculpt my cheeks with a bit of blusher. And that's it: to me that was make-up.
Shorter hair, and no make-up, looking like a teen
Only in my late twenties that I realized, "Hey, lady. Yes you're a lady, not a girl, better primp yourself up, woman!" So I started dipping my fingers into the colourful world of cosmetics. And haha... boy was it totally new to me. Putting on eye shadow was completely foreign to me and I just didn't know how to blend! It was as if my face was a colouring book and I was filling in my eyes with crayons 'cuz the lines were visible, you can totally see which one originated from where and where the two colours eventually came together, it was awful! Of course I didn't go out looking like that, hell no! And I think I better keep to myself my first attempt to put on an eye liner 'cuz you probably are going to lose whatever sliver of respect you have for me *haha*. I mean, seriously, a grown woman who doesn't know how to put make-up? Oh the shame, the shame.... 

So I practiced (not so much really, but from time to time lol), browsed through beauty magazines and searched high and low in cyberspace for tutorials on how to master the art of putting on make-up. Magazine tutorials were ok, though it's better to see how it's done than merely read it. So I relied mostly on YouTube tutorials and they are so helpful. It opened my eyes to a variety of products that can help me reach my ultimate ambition of being a girly-girl woman.

Am I more womanly now or what? lol

And so... here I am, still in the process of mastering one facet of being a woman. I'm not trying to sound so sure of myself but I think I am learning the ropes quite well. Now I know that primers aren't exclusively used in painting houses and sealants aren't just for plumbing. And that concealers are a woman's best friend whenever we have a little crisis going on in our faces that needs to be dealt with. And that  minerals do not automatically translate to several symbols in the periodic table; it actually gives us a natural, glowing finish when we put them on though it entails that I have to pay a slightly higher price than regular make-up. Ahhh... my pursuit for knowledge and beauty goes on and on...

19 comments:

Blackswan said...

Wow, who's that sexy gal?? Wi, u look stunning with make-up! Good job!

I picked up make-up during my modelling days when I was in my teens. Helps a lot. 2nd time I learnt was when I joined S'pore Airlines. That opened up a whole new world for me. These days, I'm too lazy to make-up, guess it's signs of ageing. Hahaha!

Fashionistable said...

Well now I have to say I think you look great both ways. How lucky are you. Xxxx

Aprilia said...

You look beautiful, Wi! :)
I was a late bloomer in cosmetics too and I am still a noob! I'm not really sure how to experiment with different colors etc, so my make up is usually the same and consistent lol.
Thanks again for your kind words! :)

xx

http://aprilialove.com

Peiyinn said...

I don't know make up :(
You have a lovely smile. :)
You look beautiful even though you don't make up. :)

Momo said...

I love make up! Do you want to follow each other?

Momo,
www.letmedream.es

amy b.s. said...

i am admittedly makeup and hair impaired! you'd think after years and years of doing it, i'd have figured it out!

Mimi said...

you don't look 30 at all! you look really young! :)

and i guess we're all always learning something new about makeup. there's always some new kind or brand of makeup out there to try. ;)

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
$25 Apothica Gift Card Giveaway :)

the nyanzi report said...

i think you look great.

Vee said...

Ok you do look like a woman and the 2nd pic but on both you are super pretty !!! =)

I found your blog via Lizzie's pixie dust and I really like the way you write ! I'm gonna stay tuned for more =)

xxx Vee

The Cat Hag said...

Well, I think you look womanly with or without makeup, it's all in the personality and the way you carry yourself. :)

I wish I could live with less makeup, but I would probably scare everyone who sees me if I go out with just a bit of powder haha.


xoxo,
Addie
The Cat Hag
Join My Giveaway

goodbadnfab@gmail.com said...

BB Cream! Absolutely amazing! I find that primers work fabulously for long days followed by fun nights! =)

goodbadnfab.blogspot.com
style and musings of a LA fashion lawyer

Nava Krishnan said...

I learned to mellow down on make up and spent more on skin care as the years went by. A good skin needs just a touch of make-up and concealer is one of those I need the most - to cover the dark circles for the lack of sleep and "cannot" sleep factor.

Tikkitiboo + Ahka Vintage said...

I TOTALLY agree with you! I'm still trying to master the art of putting on a face - and trying to get over that a sealant isn't a clear liquid to stop paint from peeling!
Tikkitiboo + Ahka Vintage

Sam said...

You don't even need to wear makeup, you're naturally pretty.

Flaviana Boni said...

Nice blog dear!
im following. Hope you do the same :)
MY BLOG: DRESS UP FOR ARMAGEDDON

Lucija said...

You're really funny. Love your post!
Following!

XO,
Lucija

Amanda Nguyen said...

great choices!! and they look great on you!
love the clever title to this post too!

♡Amanda
feast.fashion.faves

Kel said...

Hahah I still don't think I know how to apply makeup properly either. I feel like they're just paint brushes and I am merely splashing a bit of colour on! hahha

Here's to the continued learning process! Hopefully for us, people won't notice we're not that pro ;)


Lots of love from Sydney,

x Kel

the birthday dress

LDM said...

very cute yellow top!!

xx from hong kong :)
www.ldmldmldm.com