Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sweet and Salty Treats

The picturesque Boracay Sunset *
My dad attended a conference slash paid official vacation to the gorgeous island of Boracay last week. And being the traditional Filipino that he is, it was no surprise that he had a bunch of goodies for his dear family waiting for his homecoming. 

"Pasalubong" is a word that is learned by every Filipino even in our tender years. I cannot find the closest translation in the English language, but to my very limited capabilities, I shall loosely translate it as a present/souvenir from a trip. It doesn't matter if its a foreign or a local trip, even as kids, we get "pasalubong" from our parents when they come home from work. And it doesn't matter if the present/souvenir is grand or simple in nature, it's the thought and the effort that brings about a warm feeling and a beam in a kid's (young or old lol) face. 

Dad arrived last Sunday morning, and boy was he feeling very generous! I guess he missed us that much *haha* His pasalubong was a mixture of sweet and salty treats. These are his "haul" for his dear familia:

Sweet Treats!

Caramel and Peanut Tarts

Tamarind Candy (My fave!)

Banana Chips

Cashew!! (nom-nom!)

 Cashews are my dad's favourite so I toasted half of it for him :D 

Bucayo (Coconut candy with sesame seeds)

Barquillos (Filipino version of wafers)
And now, time for salty (yikes!) treats. Asians, especially Filipinos, have a sordid love affair for anything dried, preserved and salted. That explains the off-the-roof blood pressure of some of our dear oldies, and sadly, even the young ones. What can I say? We love flavour, I guess haha. Bland is bleh! for us. And since he went on an island trip, it's a given that his care package MUST include our most revered "bulad".

Clockwise from L-R: Dried shrimp, dried anchovies, dried squid,
dried Danggit (spinefoot fish), dried fish (I dunno which kind of fish this is lol) 
So there you go, my dears :). I know some of the food I featured may be a little new, some of which may be a little ghastly for you (the bulad, perhaps? haha), but the heart of this post is all about... thoughtfulness. Whenever any one of us goes off for a trip, whatever the budget issues are, we always have a little something for the loved ones we left behind. And it doesn't really matter if the pasalubong is grandiose in nature or very modest, what matters is the story behind it. Seeing the smiles and the happy expressions of our loved ones is incomparable. And being the recipient, it's always heart warming to know that your loved one would put out such effort and thought to share what they've experienced on their trip. 

Happy First Day of the Week, my dears. :)



40 comments:

SassyUptownChic said...

Wi, Boracay looks SO BEAUTIFUL girl! The first thing I thought when I saw the picture, was I WISH I WAS THERE! HaHa Tell your dad...AMAZING TRIP! He is so sweet! Girl, you got loads of good stuff. Sometimes, I only get a t-shirt or pen. And happy for that! HAHAHA I love cashews too. It's my favorite out of all nuts. Have a great Monday and enjoy your food haul! :D
http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/
SassyUptownChic xoxo Kim

NaNa said...

Ooh the roasted cashews look delicious. Craving some right now!

xx

LDM said...

yummy! cashews are my favourite!

xx from hong kong :)
www.ldmldmldm.com

PAPS said...

Wow that is a lot of treats. We have a similar tradition too. May be it is an Asian thing.
www.thoughtsofpaps.com

Nava Krishnan said...

Ii like the tamarind candy, we have something similar over here. anything with a sour tinge is my fav.

Olga♥ said...

yes i love kpop :D
and beast are amazing :)
yoseob ♥

ChiChi81 said...

@SassyUptownChic: Boracay is a beautiful place indeed, Kim. I definitely need to go and visit that beach again soon.

@Nana & LDM: Thanks ^^

@PAPS: Yeah, I believe so :)

@Nava: That's exactly what I love about them, the combination of sweet and sour is just wonderful. Never fails to make my mouth water lol

@Olga: woots! a fellow k-pop fan ^^

Olga♥ said...

thank you so much for followingg :)
but i only want you to follow me if you really want to, not because i am also a kpop fan, ok? :)
so no pressure :D
yeah i really like your blog so i had to follow you :D

Olga♥ said...

awww :)
you're so sweet, thx ♥♥♥

Mr Lonely said...

looks nice~

Pop Champagne said...

I love love cashews, I can eat a whole bag in 1 sitting... i wonder why they're so expensive here in canada though!!

JustPatience said...

Looks so yummy and healthy. Love nuts!

XoXo,
Patience
www.justpatiene.com

Tarah said...

Those look really good. I wonder where I can find here in Houston? Lol

Mannequins Dream said...

Boracay looks lovely! lucky you! :D Xx

www.mannequinsdream.blogspot.com

the nyanzi report said...

this place looks marvellous.

Amanda Nguyen said...

WOOW so nice that your dad got you so many sweet treats and easy snacks!! and very true....doesn't matter what your loved ones brings back from their trip...but the memories they make and stories they bring back!! so exciting!!

<3Amanda
feast.fashion.faves

Anya said...

I'm a new follower of your blog.

Your dad is so sweet! Thats so much goodies from one trip away!

xx
anya and baby Kenzi

ShinyPrettyThings said...

ahhh so much yummy food! how nice of your dad to bring back so much :D my dad is horrible at knowing what things to bring back if he ever goes on vacation or business trip. hahaha it's always random things such as pens LOL

and yes! I agree that BEG is really awesome, i can't stand cutesy girl groups that sing annoying pop songs so i'm really glad that BEG is really edgy. Other than 2ne1 & miss a BEG is the only other girl group i can tolerate hehe! otherwise, i'm all about the boy groups XD

Rob Forget said...

Loooove cashews!!! +followed, come check my blog out when you get the chance! http://mightyideas.blogspot.com

Carrymel said...

Aww your dad is a such a sweetheart! I would love some cashews right about now - they're my favs! And thank you for teaching me a new Filipino word. . usually I just call what you got a 'present' and souvenir if it was brought back from a trip. My boyfriend and I do that sometimes. . where we'll just bring the other back something because we were thinking about them.

christina said...

ooo... yummy yummy delicacies!!!! (and i am HUNGRY rigth now btw :P)
ps boracay looks like paradise.. i ve never come to your country, have you ever visited greece?
xxx
christina

Kim L. said...

Don't u love it when parents come back or visit you with lots and lots of goodies?? :)

x

accidental encounters

Bravoe Runway said...

Boracay looks absolutely amazing! Hope you get to go soon! I know exactly what you mean about pasalubong! Whenever I go somewhere I always bring something back for each family member. Similarly to you, it doesn't have to be grandiose, it's the thought behind it! Although food is a rarity for me. These items look delicious and I totally agree, bland food is not part of Asian cuisine! Enjoy your treats :)

Mikimoto Angel said...

Can I have some of those? I'm so inggit! Haha

Much love from Mystic Nymph.

Peiyinn said...

Love those snacks! Yummy! I tried Cashews and banana chips before! :)

Blackswan said...

Thks for introducing me to "pasalubong"! That's a lot of goodies. Am I in the list too? Hahaha!

Kel said...

Seriously, we Asians have an obsession with bringing dried and preserved products home as presents be they fish, shrimp, lollies or the like. I relate to this pastime so much but my white boyfriend still finds it a little peculiar. Ah well, baby steps hey!

Lots of love from Sydney,

x Kel

the shirtdress

Miss Kwong said...

beautiful scnery in the Philippines! lovely food here too x

Follow me on:
Miss Kwong - Art and Fashion

The Beautifier said...

I'm loving your sweet ans salty treats! I love roasted cashews and banana chips!! Your dad is so sweet! ohh all this is making me hungry xoxo

Femme Virtue said...

i want those caramel and peanut tarts!!! looks goooooood!

Fashionistable said...

Presents are always good. You will have a great time eating these. Xxxx

Magda said...

lovely blog¡¡ kisses from Mexico :D

Lyosha said...

the photo look sooo pretty - wanna be there. soo good I'm not hungry - so many litlle foods you showed!

xx
Lyosha
Inside and Outside

Marie said...

First of all, I miss Boracay! That's where my hubby proposed to me :)

And second - ng sarap naman!




Dirty Pink Cardigan



:D

Mimi said...

these all look delicious! i love eating little snacks, and these are perfect. :)

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
Stages of Beauty Giveaway :)

paledivision said...

Aw, love your food photos.
Making me hungry at the wrong time! xo

http://paledivision.blogspot.com/

Flaviana Boni said...

nice pics!
Check out my new outfit post!
Dress up for armageddon

Rapuncela said...

yum :)

Jessica said...

Thanks for your comment, cute post :)

http://chicgeekblogger.blogspot.com/

Please take a minute to look at my trunkshow;

http://iouproject.com/tsh/jessica-karen/

Vee said...

these are pretty much all new for me =D thoe the banana chips sounds really yummy =D !!!!


xxx Vee