Monday, October 24, 2011

Chinatown Finds + Purple Zebra!

In my humble lil' thrift store, I don't just sell thrifted clothes, I also sell accessories to match and accentuate the thrifted pieces I display in my shop. I mix the old but still fab in my shop with something hip and new to go along with it.  I guess the overly-diluted Chinese ancestry coursing through my veins urges me to maximize the profit and the potential of owning a shop (according to my dad, my grandma is of Chinese descent). Besides, not only does it benefit me, financially speaking, but it also saves my customers the trouble of having to find the perfect earrings, bracelet, or necklace to go with their newly-acquired thrifted piece.

I went to Chinatown (once again, hence the title), to fill my shop up with some chic yet easy on the pocket accessories. And of course, I just could not resist picking up some items for myself! I mean, c'mon... I can't represent my shop if I didn't wear fabulous ones of my own, right??? Just applying some basic principles of marketing here, and of course... justifying my splurging tendencies *haha*.

So here are some of the items I lovingly treated myself with. 

That's two bangle sets stacked together, the first set, (first 3 at the top) $1.25
second set (7 piece) $1.47

Red wooden bangle $ 0.72
Brown wooden/2 metal bangle set $ 1.25

Aquamarine necklace with detachable floral brooch $ 1.81

Black Faux Pearl Choker also $1.81

White faux pearl and lace 3-tiered necklace w/detachable floral brooch $1.81

6-Tier Silver Bead Necklace $ 1.25

Turquoise teardrop earring $ 0.80

You're eyes aren't deceiving you, that's exactly how much I got them for. With rock-bottom prices such as that, I just can't help but give in to the temptation.

Yesterday, it was my dear friend's turn to hit the big 3-0. She invited me along with some of our elementary/high school girlfriends for a night of karaoke and cocktails. She wanted us to doll up for her big milestone event, so it was time for me to scourge my closet. I have a few dresses which I buy yet I set them aside special occasions so I don't wig out at the last minute for an outfit, and this came in handy for her birthday bash. I was about to slip into a dress I've been saving for later use, when I remembered I bought THIS dress a year ago, and it would be perfect for this ocassion!

Purple Zebra! Bought last year from an online seller

As usual, my penchance for dresses with pockets is so evident here

Notice the bangles? I wore just the metal ones from my Chinatown haul ;)

Pardon the poor-quality of these photos. I was testing out my lappie's webcam, and oh dear, this will be the last time I use my webcam for shooting photos. I took these shots indoors, with all the lights lit up, and yet the photos were dark and hazy! Good thing the ever-so reliable Picnik was able to fix the colours. A little bit of tweaking here and there made these photos bearable, though still hazy but hey... I am in no position to be picky *lol*. Just ignore the silly, blurred look on my face. I took these photos at an ungoldy hour, so hence, that's how my face turned out.

I guess I do have an animal-printed dress, after all. It just slipped my mind since this dress is about a year old *haha*; oops, my bad. ;p

46 comments:

Mannequins Dream said...

omgosh when I saw the date i was like Monday 24?! then i realised there's a time difference because i'm still in sunday :P & omgosh those turquoise 80 cents earrings are GORGEOUS!! :D Xx

PAPS said...

I love the bracelets. Also wow yes they are very cheap. Hope you enjoyed your friends birthday. You look good despite the camera probs.
www.thoughtsofpaps.com

Bravoe Runway said...

WII!!! You look gorgeous, I love this dress on you! OMG I did a double take and was like is that my girl WII or is this a Part II K-Drama post! You seriously could pass for a K-Drama Idol! So happy you spent the evening out with your friend to celebrate 30! The new jewelry is gorgeous, I especially LOVE LOVE LOVE the black pearl choker!!!

laura said...

That dress is so lovely! You look super cute Wi! The print on that dress is cute but so unique with the purple color! I LURVES it! And the pockets are a great bonus! No need for carrying a purse! :)

I really love the turquoise earrings! I can't believe they're soooo cheap!
♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights

Empress Za Lemore said...

ohhh i love the earrings darling..

Love, www.shoeocracy.blogspot.com

Za

Anna said...

These prices are just sick! I can't wait for NY this winter - I'm hitting Canal street as soon as I get out of the car! NY has the best Chinatown I've ever been to - not many can beat Sterling Silver earrings for $4.

I also like your bold dress- its just the right amount of flair

Kaitlin Mattingly said...

i'm a sucker for studded bracelets. so those would have to be my favorite of your finds!

Kait xo
kaitgirl.blogspot.com

s2danii. said...

awesome dress! Love the pattern and the colour. perfect for a night out :) Where do you plan on going for overseas? Thats exciting! Is it your first time?

The Cat Hag said...

Awww you are such a sweetheart lovely, your comments are always so supportive and caring. <3

I am happy to hear you and the boy are doing well, hehe please post some photos of the two of you together! :)

You make me smile always...


xoxo,
Addie
The Cat Hag

Sam said...

You look stunning in that dress - the fit is great. You've found some real treasures. I must say that now in SA there are dozens of China Marts everywhere and they sell the most unusual and amazing things.

Sam said...

P.S Thanks for your comment. I am also guilty of scrunchies and so much more.

songbird said...

that dress is gorgeous and you look fantastic!!i so love the faux pearl jewels...and i have a confession I kept thinkng you were in your early 20s like me or maybe a bit younger!!haha..

Jen said...

Wow, those are great accessories. I can't believe you got them for such great prices. I love your outfit too. <3

xoxo
http://thesexylittleblog.blogspot.com/

Mikimoto Angel said...

Oh wow! Those accessories are to die for! I have to visit China Town again. I love the bangles and the teardrop ear stud/dangles! The dress looks good on you as well. You look pretty despite the photo quality. Haha!

Punk Chopsticks said...

You should take a photoshop course!! (Or learn as you go like I did) but these pictures really aren't that bad. I LOVE THAT DRESS!!! Though I'd never be daring enough to wear it out, so kudos to you x)

MEOW said...

u look great in that purple zebra dress :)
and i love the pearly necklace with the brooch!!! and for 1.81$ thats awesome :)

TaraMixandMatch said...

Those bracelets are so pretty! Love your dress, you look great!
Mix and Match Fashion

Agora tô pronta said...

very nice ♥

ShinyPrettyThings said...

*high five* I LOVE dresses w pockets!!! that will usually always make me want to buy a dress :D you look lovely!! and i love the bangles u got. what a great deal too!

Mila said...

You look amazing, following you!

Quay Po Cooks said...

Wi, great finds! You look lovely in that purple zebra dress!

lhamo Mashutzo said...

i have an award for u in my blog...

NaNa said...

Wow those accessories that you've bought are really good finds. I'm loving the bracelets especially.

Your dress is super cute too, it's the perfect cut and length. I've always had a love for animal prints, so this dress in the funky purple print is pretty cool!

x
Anna

Blackswan said...

Nevermind about the quality of the pix; the model is gorgeous! I'm often amazed by your eagle eye for sourcing good buys. Well done, my dear! xoxo

Pop Champagne said...

ya my webcam photos aren't very good as well, it's amazing how much the camera has improved and the phone camera as well but web cam cameras are still crappy eh?!?! haha. but I LOVE this dress on you, the print is awesome :D

just tututiny said...

HOTNESS. I love the purple zebra print dress. What an added bonus with those pockets. I love anything with pockets too cause it saves me from having to carry a bag. This dress looks gorgeous on you. I can't believe the prices you paid for those necklaces and bangles. What a steal! I think I would've bought the whole store at that price. hahaha.

http://justtututiny.blogspot.com/
Thu

My 2 Pesos said...

Nice images. (:

Amanda Nguyen said...

woooow....are you joking??! you got sooo many great things for SUCH a steal!! I am really so amazed!

<3Amanda
feast.fashion.faves

its simple love said...

I love thrifting! Love the finds!

Rachael

Femke de Groot said...

Great jewellery,
very cute post and blog!
I'm having a give-away on my own blog and I really hope you will join too. ;)
x

my-fashion-fairytale.blogspot.com

Vee said...

You look fantastic on these pics =) serious !! and I really like these bangles even thoe I never wear any coz it annoys me on my wrist :p But their pretty nontheless =)

xxx Vee

Jennifer Fabulous said...

These items you scored are fantastic and how awesome you found them so cheap!! I need to go shopping with you. LOL! ;)

LOVE your purple dress as well. Definitely perfect for a girls night out. <3

Style Journey said...

Those are some seriously awesome finds with the jewelry! That is fantastic. Love your leopard dress too :) That is a great dress to go out and celebrate a night on the town!

Fashionistable said...

Cool new pieces for your store. You looked great for your friends party. Xxxx

Paolita@BerryHaute said...

Awesome finds and lovely dress, I am a pocket fan as well ;)
BerryHaute

Meagan said...

I am loving all those bangles and what incredible prices!
-Meagan
www.spunkychateau.com

FashionableAsians said...

Those turquoise teardrop earrings are a freaking steal!!! what a great statement piece! my ears are jealous right now lol

Dana Yoshimizu said...

WOW for such a cheap price!
what a steal ;D


<3,
Dana

Jo said...

Hey wi,

Thank you so much for offering your condolences on Charmaine's passing. Those words mean a lot.

I'm finally back here trawling all the posts which I've missed over the past few days.

You know, When I saw the title, I thought that it sounded like a fashion disaster... lol... but you look great. I mean it, you look GREAT in the purple zebra dress and I especially love your smile in the first picture.

No way, those accessories are so cheap!!! I wanna buy some too!

Keeping up with E.S.E.M said...

i love love love your dress! it looks great on you and i love the quirky pattern!

x

shopstyleconquer.blogspot.com

Ciccia said...

I love those bangles, I used to buy lots of them when we were in India. Here in Italy they tend to be very expensive. You look stunning as usual! Hugs from Rome Chichi!

LeeAnne, Style N Season said...

You can find those gorgeous pieces at Chinatown? How come whenever I went to Chinatown I used to bring home only food, food, and food? Oh well...
Owww, I don't know you own a thrift shop, that's so quaintly cool! I used to love thrift shopping. No good thrift shops in Indonesia though. Sad.

LeeAnne, Style N Season
http://stylenseason.blogspot.com

Peiyinn said...

May I know where Chinatown located at? I like your dress! Best buy!:)

Vee said...

Hey Wi =)
Just like I said to Lizzie, I can definitely go buy the ones you like and send them to you =) We can totaly do a swap if you're interested !! I love recieving mails and corresponding with people =) ! hehe

let me know if you're interested !!
(ps: do you like the new layout of my blog?? i just spent ages on it and I hope it looks better!!)

xxx Vee

Jessica said...

Thanks for your comment, great post, lovely jewelery!!

http://chicgeekblogger.blogspot.com/

Please take a minute to look at my trunkshow;

http://iouproject.com/tsh/jessica-karen/

SassyUptownChic said...

Wi, how the hell did i miss all of these posts. LOL But anyway! Girl that purple zebra dress looks AWESOME on you!!! Love the cinch waist and do I see pockets. NICE!!!! It's FUN!!! And look at that pretty smile on your face. Girl those bangles are sharp. Love your haul and what great prices. Simply awesome! I love that you sincerely care and are concerned about your customers. It says a lot! :D
http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/