Monday, October 31, 2011

Give Me The Creeps - A Hallow's Eve Special

Single Girl's Hallow's Eve Special 


Asian horror flicks are really creepy but boy how I love them. Back in the day, I couldn't get enough of them, to the point that my best friend and I watched one at the cinema, on the last full show screening, and guess what? There's only about 10 people watching the flick with us. We were like, uh-oh.. this movie's going to pwn us, and it did. I remember being teary-eyed, not because it was a touching scene, but because I was literally, about to cry out of fear. And my throat was so hoarse from all that screaming. 

All throughout the course of the film, my friend and I kept asking each other, "why the hell did you pick out this film???" But in the end, we loved it, and thus started our strange fascination and love for Asian horror flicks. 

Here are my top picks for a creepfest marathon on Hallow's Eve. I'm not sure if you, my dear readers, are a huge fan of horror flicks, I'm sure most of you aren't *lol*, but have you watched these creepy Asian flicks before?

1. Ju On (The Grudge) - Japanese Flick


Synopsis: An eerie tale of a family who is brutally killed in their own home leaving behind an evil spirit lurking in the shadows. When an unknowing homecare worker enters the spirit is awakened and a terrifying chain of events begins passing through all those who step foot in this dark house. 

2. The Eye - Thai Flick




Synopsis: A blind girl gets a cornea transplant so that she would be able to see again. However, she got more than what she bargained for when she realised she could even see ghosts. And some of these ghosts are down right unfriendly. So she embarks on a journey to find the origins of her cornea and to reveal the history of the previous dead owner.

3. Ringu (The Ring) Japanese Flick


Synospsis: In this psychological horror story from Japan, a legend circulates among teenagers that if one watches a certain video at a certain time of the night, the telephone will ring right afterward, and one week later, you will die. When Masami tells her friend Imako this story, she scoffs -- but a week later, Imako dies in an auto accident. Imako's aunt, a television journalist named Reiko, hears that not long before she died, Imako was watching a strange video with her friends -- all of whom have turned up dead. Reiko tracks down a copy of the video, and as she watches its strange, spectral images, the telephone begins to ring....The next morning, Reiko begins a desperate search to solve the mystery of the video, convinced she has only seven days to live; assisting her is Ryuji, a mathematics expert and her former husband.

4. Double Vision - Taiwanese Flick



Led by detective Li Feng-po, a group of detectives use physical violence to get a confession from a suspected criminal. Meanwhile, several murders are occuring--a business man is found drowned in his office; a politicians mistress is burnt to death in her apartment, and an American clerk is eviscerated in his own church. Without a background in finding serial killers, the Taiwan authorties see fit to call the FBI. Agent Kevin Richter teams up with foreign affairs officer Huang Huo-tu , and the pair sets off on a surreal trail which leads them through psychedelic fungus and a strange Taoist cult fun by former-businessmen. Eventually, Huang's own inner demons are exposed and turned against him in a violent conclusion.

4. A Tale of Two Sisters - Korean Flick


This supernatural horror film from Kim Jee-woon is inspired by the ancient Korean folktale "Jangha and Hongryun." Set in an isolated lakeside house, it begins with two young girls, Su-mi and Su-yeon, returning home after a period of hospitalization following the death of their mother. In the meantime, their father Mu-Hyun  has married Eun-joo, whom the girls obviously despise. Strange, violent visions begin to disturb Su-mi and she becomes convinced that Eun-joo is keeping a dark secret from the family. 

6. Voice Letter - Korean Flick


While training after hours in her high-school, the aspirant singer Park Young-Eon is mysteriously killed and her body vanishes. Her ghost is invisible and trapped in the school, but her best friend Kang Sun-min, who broadcast in the lunchtime in school, is able to hear her voice. After the suicide of their music teacher, Sun-min, aided by her mate Cho-Ah, finds that another student, Hyo-Jung, died in the same elevator trunk some time ago. Meanwhile Young-Eon recalls details of her life, disclosing why she died. (The star of this movie is this week's Korean Idol Featurette)

6. Shutter - Thai Flick


A young photographer Thun and his girlfriend Jane discover mysterious shadows in their photographs after fleeing the sceen of an accident. As they investigate the phenomenon, they find other photographs contain similar supernatural images, that Thun's best friends are being haunted as well, and Jane discovers that her boyfriend has not told her everything. It soon becomes clear that you can not escape your past. And boy... the "burden" of the past is indeed truly freaky.

So there you have it, my dears. A run-down of some of my favourite Asian Horror flicks  (yes, I have more, but I don't want this post to be uber lengthy lol). And to end this post, I would like to ask...

What's you're favourite horror movie? 

Synopsis adopted from these sites:
Amazon (Ju-on)
IMDb (The Eye)
Rotten Tomatoes (Ringu)
Rotten Tomatoes (Double Vision)
Rotten Tomatoes (A Tale of Two Sisters)
IMDb (Voice Letter)
IMDb (Shutter)




55 comments:

PAPS said...

I hate horror films. I love chic flicks. These look so scary.
www.thoughtsofpaps.com

s2danii. said...

omggggg I actually cannot stand horror movies. I'm such a wimp... Just looking at the movie covers in your post freaked me out lol. Mad respect for you for sitting through these movies :P
RE: haha YES k drama actress. Very fitting :P She-devil sounds cute too. Post a pic if you have one :D

BunBun said...

I find it really interesting that lots of these films have western parallels eg the ring and the grudge :) obviously scary movies are popular with plenty of cultures but they're really not for me haha

There is nothing in this world that is new.. said...

i don't have favourite horror movie, I prefer comedies.
I have watched several times this movie : "The ring", and it is still so creepy.. :DD

Jo said...

I've to quickly scroll through this whole post coz I can't stand seeing all these pictures when I'm alone. I heard of all these shows before but only watched The Ring, The Eye, Double Vision and parts of Shutter. I can't stand Ju-On's trailer. I had images of the boy and the mother everywhere including under the blanket! Eeks

Empress Za Lemore said...

i love scary movies they are so much fun to watch especially around this time of year.

Amanda Nguyen said...

i honestly...am a scaredy cat....and can't handle any horror films! i have nightmares for MONTHS!! aah. cool job with the editing of your photo!

<3Amanda
feast.fashion.faves

Sakuranko said...

I love the movie the shutter...

Sakuranko Blog
Facebook Fan Page

Xoxo

Love Sushi and Fashion said...

To be honest with you I always get too scared so I can´t watch them all! But I managed once to watch Friday the 13th entirely! <3<3

laura said...

I actually hate horror movies. Like ugh ugh ugh HATE them! only because I am such a scaredy-cat! Even the Asian horror movies I watch (that aren't super scary) still scare me!
♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights

The Cat Hag said...

Ahhhhh this is such a scary post!

Haha, I am really freaked out by horror movies and never watch them since I will get nightmares for very long after. ;)

Hope you had a good weekend, beautiful! <3


xoxo,
Addie
The Cat Hag

Silvia ♥ said...

I love horror films! <3.

xoxo.

http://silviajani.blogspot.com

NaNa said...

I'm so scared of horror movies. Anything horror-related in fact, i'll stay away from. So even scrolling down this post was quite difficult, but I made it to the end haha.

x

Anna

ShinyPrettyThings said...

omgggg asian horror films trump hollywood ones! they're so freaking creepy/disturbing haha i am too wimpy to watch them. i won't be able to sleep for days!! the last 1 i watched was the Ring, NEVERRRRR watching another scary movie again >.<

Sara C. said...

i can't watch those movies, if I want to keep my sleep. Really, way too scary
Sara C.

Quay Po Cooks said...

Wi, you still look pretty when you look spooky! I will stll hug you! hahaha..but I like the "treat" photo better. I used to love horror movies but when I grow older, not so much now.

Blackswan said...

It's great to see u sharing the same interest as me. Not many ladies like horror movies.

I've seen most of them in this list but my all-time fave is still a non-Asian one - Exorcist! This is the scariest movie. I remember a lot of people fell ill after watching this. Gives me the creep!

Mr Lonely said...

evil + scary~ XD

Regards,
http://www.lonelyreload.com (A Growing Teenager Diary) ..

LDM said...

i have a love/hate relationship with horror films!! i've actually seen a lot of these lol.

xx from hong kong :)
www.ldmldmldm.com

Pop Champagne said...

ohhhhh i saw The Grudge 2 on the weekend, and even that freaked me out! i heard the first one is way scarier I dont' think I can watch it hahahaha I'm such a wimp

Vee said...

Man just looking at these pictures scares me to death !!! I'm so not a horror/gore/scary movie kind of girl =D !!!

When I went to see "I am a Legend" at the cinema I had nightmares for 2 weeks !!! no joke. Even now when I think of these monsters I find it hard to get to sleep !

I'm gonna be a good girl and watch "Nightmare before Christmas" =D hehe !

xxx Vee

I'm With Stupid said...

I'm not a big fan of horror movies. I mean, I would watch one with you, if you promise to protect me. hahaha ;-)

Jay

songbird said...

i am dead terrified of asian horror flicks.i think they are the scariest of all..i saw enough of grudge to completely freak me out..i have seen tale of 2 sisters...so so creepy!!

Carrymel said...

To me foreign (foreign to me, anyway lol) horror flicks are the scariest! It's like there's no filter, nothing's "taking to too far", everything's pushed to the limit. That's a good thing because I like scary movies when I'm watching them with others but never by myself!

That "Voice Letter" movie looks especially frightening o.o

http://carrymel.blogspot.com

Bravoe Runway said...

I don't think I've ever seen an Asian Horror film... I did see the eye in the US version it featured Jessica Alba. I've heard of the ring but haven't seen it. I love scary movies...muahhahahaha, I'll have to check out some of these! BTW...love both the pix of you normal and scary!

Tarah said...

IF a movie had you crying out of fear then why didn't you stop watching? LOL I don't like being that scared. I do like zombies though, they are kinda funny and dumb. ;p
I'm scared of those films you posted. I think I'll stick to Zombie flicks. lol

Tarahandthecity.blogspot.com

Punk Chopsticks said...

LOL!!! i've watched and loved more than half of these films!!! *high five* Thanks so much for this post and p/s, love you pic btw xD

Sam said...

I like horror movies, I actually don't fins them scary. Were all the Hollywood-related movies of the same name copied from these Asian horror flicks?

Cooking Gallery said...

Oh...I love horror flicks! Thanks for the short synopses! I've watched 'Shutter' and I think it's a great film! Didn't really expect the ending ;).

Megan said...

I hate horror films. I love chic flicks. These look so scary.

Valentine said...

Asian horror movies are seriously in a league of their own. They're really scary beyond necessity!

It's been years since I've last watched a scary movie!

just tututiny said...

OMG - you are so brave. I am a chicken when it comes to horror movies and I think the Asian ones are the scariest! The last scary movie I watched was What Lies Beneath which was maybe 10 years ago and remember I couldn't shower by myself for a month - I had to ask my mom or sister to sit on the toilet to wait for me. HAHAHAHA. I was even afraid to look at these poster you posted! Man you are one brave gal.

Mitha Komala said...

ive watched some of the movies and it is really scary yet exciting! nice recommendations dear :D

http://mithakomala.blogspot.com/

paledivision said...

I've never seen Double Vision before, might check it out oneee day (: xo

http://paledivision.blogspot.com/

Nava.K said...

I like that transformation of your pics to coincide with Halloween.

I watched a couple of these movies not all thought but Ju-on probably is the best among the rest.

JustPatience said...

Gee these look scary and spooky by just looking at the posters.

Patience
www.justpatience.com

secret said...

sooo scary!!! i prefer more halloween fantasy and costume .... xoxo... your first pic its very nice !!


www.the-undercover-girl.blogspot.com

Monday Receptionist said...

I'm scared just lookin at the pictures!!x

La Professionnelle said...

Such a cute trick or treat pic duo of you!

OMG I haven't heard if any for the ones from #4 down on you list! But they look like fun!! Thanks for the recommendations.

I don't know that I have a fav scary movie...

http://preponderance-of-fashion.blogspot.com/

Ask Erena said...

Some of those movies look very bloody:-) I really liked your first picture - so cute!
hugs from New York,
xx
Ask Erena
http://askerena.blogspot.com/

Meagan said...

It sounds like there are some great asian horror films! I really like the original 'Halloween.'
-Meagan
www.spunkychateau.com

Prasetyo said...

Nice articles. I'm love it. Dont forget to give comment back, i'm waiting your comment to support us to make a blog like you has now. Thanks for share.

SassyUptownChic said...

Wi, I'm scared just looking at the cover of these movies! They look scarier than anything in the States! HAHAHA OMG'd your dual photo is creeping me out. Let me hurry up and type this! HAHAHA You've transformed! HAHAHAHA Thanks for sharing, but I don't think I'll be watching these. Horror MUCH! HAHAHA
Thanks for your kind comments too Wi. I appreciate your thoughtful words.
http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/

Stephanie Ayu said...

well I"M not sleeping tonight!

Wida said...

Definitely treat!! Eek, this post is scary haha.

Wida
Missing Amsie Blog

Wonder Woman said...

Shutter. Is. THE. WORST. That's all I have to say. Lol.

http://wonderwomanrises.blogspot.com

Mikimoto Angel said...

I love The Eye! For some reason, I don't like A Tale of Two Sisters. Same twisted story like others.

Gabrielle - I LIKE IT FAST said...

So many scary films, I must watch!
xx
I LIKE IT FAST

Miriam Stella said...

faboulos!
kisses! Why don' t you come to see my fashion blog? i would be happy!
i wait for you on MiriamStella's fashion blog
bye

MiriamStella's fashion blog

Rakhshan said...

oh my these are really creepy!
just stumbled upon your blog, nice work Wi!!!
following you now would love if you come and pay a visit :) xx
rakhshansblog.blogspot.com

mwan said...

hi there ,im having a Gucci giveaway check it out at http://mwanwan.blogspot.com/2011/10/gucci-giveaway.html

x

Soo said...

I'm not big on horror movies, but I love A Tale of Two Sisters! it is one of my favorite movies, actually :)

Mannequins Dream said...

i was reading your decription of the 2 sisters film and i thought to myself...where have i heard that before?! and then i remembered The Uninvited! that was a REALLY weird but good film but i'm betting the Korean version is probably better! :P

Asian Beauties said...

This is a great inspiring article. I am very happy with your post. Totally informative post.I have bookmarked it already.

Translation service said...

This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information. I totally recognize all the points are true.keep up the good works.