Monday, October 17, 2011

Luscious Red

In the past, I envy looking at other ladies sporting red lips. Deep inside I wished I could paint mine with such a bold colour which I love. Sadly, my quest for those alluring red lips look was in vain. I could not find the right shade of red that would make me look pretty. The ones I tried either made me look old, made me look like a hag, made me look like a clown, or an old hag trying to pass off as a clown. Hideous *shudders*.

From the cheap-o ones to the pricey high end brands, nothing seems to work. So I just accepted the fact that red lipstick and I repel each other like two opposite magnetic poles. We are just never going to work things out. But hey, I still love red.

When I started blogging again and started following beauty and fashion bloggers, it seems like the quest to find the right shade of red was rekindled. I guess old flames can't be extinguished completely. But I didn't rush myself. I didn't scour the make-up counters like a horde of zerglings (see StarCraft); instead, I took my time. 


Patience finally pays off at the end. I have found the right one. 

I finally found The One

Skinfood Coffee Creamy Sheer Lipstick RD201 Rich Berry

Skinfood prides itself as a company that uses all-natural ingredients for their cosmetics and skin care products. That's wasn't my top consideration when I purchased this lipstick *haha* but it's wonderful, if what they claim is actually 100% true and not just some hype to jump in to the "organic" trend. 

I'm not going to go in-depth in terms of reviewing this product, I'll just skim over a few pro's and con's. Let's start with the positive. What I like about this lipstick is that it's very pigmented. Just one stroke from one corner of the mouth to the other and back is enough to colour my lips. Also, it has a sweet scent and it doesn't "taste" like lipstick. It smells/tastes like tropical fruit. And lastly, it doesn't dry my lips out.

But not everything's perfect, there will always be flaws. One of which is that, since this product is all natural, the beauty consultant warned me that this product easily melts if exposed to direct sunlight and to high temperature for a long period of time. This is quite alarming for me because I live in the tropics, of course it's going to be hot and sunny especially during mid-morning 'til mid-afternoon. Another is that, it seems too creamy and soft that if I rough handled this (especially when I'm in a rush), I'm pretty sure it'll snap into two. Great. And it's quite pricey (for me, that is). But what can I do, it's the only shade and brand of red that finally suits me. So, just look the other way, my dear, a good thing does not come cheap.


36 comments:

Bravoe Runway said...

I think this colour looks awesome on you! So glad you finally found a shade you love! Similarly to you, I also had issues finding the red lipstick and what I always noticed was that it would bleed. Problem solved with lip liner. I've had some issues with organic products and they have the tendency to expire faster, do you have makeup forever in Philippines? That is the maker of my red lipstick, I like it because it is long lasting, my lips don't feather...

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

So glad you managed to find a Red which you adore. It's not an easy task finding the ideal shade of Red especially for ethnic women.

laura said...

This is a gorgeous color on you! It's always so thrilling when one finds "their perfect shade of red!" I think I have 3-4 shades that I like at the moment, so just remember that you can have more than one perfect shade! It's funny that you say you don't like the lipstick taste/smell. I absolutely adore it! :) To each her own ;)

♥ laura

the blog of worldly delights

Empress Za Lemore said...

I have never found just the right shade of red for either... oh well..I will stick to my plain gloss that just shimmers in the sun.

Love, www.shoeocracy.blogspot.com

Za

Mr Lonely said...

nuke nuke~ =D

PAPS said...

So finally you found it:) Looks good. I never wore red till one of my friends gave me one and then suddenly I realized may be it looks good.
www.thoughtsofpaps.com

Amanda Nguyen said...

wowzerz girly...you look absolutely gorgeous!! and somewhat........mysterious...love it!!
that lip color is fantastic!!! I love how it applies!! a gorgeous berry sheen!! good choice :)

<3Amanda
feast.fashion.faves

larissa said...

NICE! That red looks good on youu.
xo.
http://fromhatstoheels.blogspot.com/

Silvia ♥ said...

Love this color and u look so pretty!, xoxox.
silviajani.blogspot.com

Jen said...

Lovely shade. Looks great on you. <3

xoxo
http://thesexylittleblog.blogspot.com/

Blackswan said...

Wow, the bright red lipstick reminds me of my days with SIA! Back then, trainees had to use this colour & most of us were not used to it at all. So u can really tell a newbie stewardess from a senior just by looking at their lipstick colour. Lol!

ShinyPrettyThings said...

i think u found the right 1 indeed! this 1 is gorgeous on u. & i love skin food!!! they're so affordable (well if u get it in asia...not in the US >.<) have you tried out skin food masks?? they make such awesome ones. love them!

The Cat Hag said...

Yay to you looking beautiful with your red lipstick! ♥

I know how hard it is to find the perfect red shade, and I have looked for a really long time before I found my perfect red in MAC. It does take some getting used to though, I always feel like I look slightly crazy whenever I wear red lipstick haha. ;P


xoxo,
Addie
The Cat Hag

Nava Krishnan said...

that color suits you and was worth the trial and errors to look for it. I do use the mask from skinfood, esp the rice mask and one of the best of their products.

NaNa said...

That red does indeed look great. Not too bold, but just the right amount of red. Looks really great on you too.

xx
Anna
http://feedmenana.blogspot.com

Sam said...

Still need to find my perfect red. This one looks great on you, like the sheen it has.

SassyUptownChic said...

Wi, that red looks great on you! I understand your struggles. The shades of red I've chose constantly changed as I got older. So you can imagine! LOL Red is really tricky and you have to be careful, therefore you don't want to choose anything. Application is important, because you don't want for it to end up on your front teeth! HAHAHA I think you made a great choice and other options will come your way. Hope you're having a great Monday and I've given you an award. So when you have a chance check out my blog. ((HUG))
http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/

songbird said...

who doesn't love red lips!!glad you found your choice of shade..it looks good on you...i know i love my red..it isn't for everyday..just specific occasions..never forget to carry a q-tip or tissue with you just in case!

Bonnie said...

Red lips just do not work on me, which I think is stupid. Seriously. No matter what, my lips are always a rosy pink color. I'm not really complaining because it looks good on me, but what if I want something different?? This color is gorgeous on you!

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Jennifer Fabulous said...

This shade of lipstick is your BEST FRIEND! You look gorgeous.

Miriam Stella said...

wow! i like it so much!!!! ;-)
thank you for visit my Miriamstella's blog !
I hope you come back again to see my new post! and if you like the blog...you could follow! ;-)
kisses
Miriamstella (from Italy)
http://isfashionmypassion.blogspot.com/

Lyosha said...

great colour!
very nice blog! following ou now!

Lyosha
Inside and Outside

kcomekarolina said...

cool!!! i love the color!


xoxo from rome
K.
http://kcomekarolina.com/

karin said...

Love the color,looks great on you. I think it is perfect for the season. Kisses from www.stylepicture.blogspot.com

just tututiny said...

wow - this color looks gorgeous on you. I am so glad to hear that after searching around you have found the right color. I def. think that red lips gives us such a glamourous look esp. with our black/brown hair. Unfortunately for me I have not had the courage to try bright color lipstick yet. I'm the plain one that always go for the nude and pink lip color. Maybe one of these days I will be bold and try it out ;) Thanks for the review and photos!

http://justtututiny.blogspot.com/
Thu

secret said...

love red color lips... nice..

http://the-undercover-girl.blogspot.com/

Ask Erena said...

I think that red looks perfect on you. Once in a while I love to go red:-) And just like you I dont like to taste my lipstick:-) I also want to thank you for your wonderful comments earlier today - means a lot to me!
hugs from New York,
xx
Ask Erena
http://askerena.blogspot.com/

Tarah said...

Pretty in red.

Tarahandthecity.blogspot.com

Keeping up with E.S.E.M said...

omg love it!

x

shopstyleconquer.blogspot.com

Fabrizia Spinelli said...

You’re wonderful in this photo, I like you style and this red lipstick!
Take a look at my blog, and if you like it follow me, I’ll be waiting for you!

Cosa mi metto???

paledivision said...

Looks lovely on you!
I love red lippies too (:

http://paledivision.blogspot.com/

Miss Kwong said...

i think it looks great on u! give u a different look, more dressed up and sexy! love! keep exploring x

Follow me on:
Miss Kwong - Art and Fashion

Eline said...

Looks great!

x Eline - On high heels you're closer to the sky

Vee said...

I'm glad you finally found what you were looking for =) ! It does look real good on the pic =)
Now you say it doesnt dry out your lips, which for me is a super pro as I hate feeling my lips all dried out by a product !

I hope the melting problem is not gonna ruin your lipstick !!

xxx Vee

ourneverneverland.com said...

Such a pretty color! Looks great on you!
ourneverneverland.com

Translation company said...

I am glad to catch idea from your article. I have go through your articles and found some information which is quite important for me. It is very informative. thanks a lot.