Thursday, October 13, 2011

Superstitions: Yay or Nay?

Practically everyone, whatever cultural group we belong, all follow particular customs and traditions. Customs and traditions influence our behavior, our preferences and our perception. Now I'm not going to bore you guys with a lengthy thesis about it. I'm going to talk about something else. 

Almost every cultural group observe their own superstitious beliefs. My culture is no exception to that. We are mostly Catholics and Christians but that does not mean we don't observe them. Now I'm not going to list every single superstitious belief we follow. I'll just list a few quirky ones. And here are some of them.

1. Do not sweep your house during the evenings; this will "sweep away" all your good luck. I dunno where this originated, but when I was young, my mom and my grandmother was very adamant about this. But I'm stubborn, so I sweep the house regardless what time of day it is. If I see a speck of dust, I sweep it out pronto.

2. When cooking, do not bang the ladle on the wok/pan; this will call on the bad spirits to enter your home. Again, the matrons of the familia strictly imposed this belief. And being the deviant that I am, and the rare moments I make an appearance in the kitchen, I really don't observe this. Whenever some bits of rice or meat sticks on my ladle, BANG! BANG! BANG!

3. Do not sleep when your hair is wet, you'll go blind. Okay, I have to admit, I am guilty of this. hahaha I mean, c'mon it's bad enough I'm almost legally blind when my contacts are out, I do NOT wish to test my luck on this one.

4. A person with a mole in their eye have the ability to see the paranormal. Okay, this is just some urban legend type of belief, but I actually believe this. I know some people who have a mole in their eye, and lemme tell you... They do see the unseen. It's so darn creepy and I am RELIEVED I don't have a mole in my eye. I am such a scaredy-cat to the point that it's borderline silly. 

5. Brides should not try on their wedding dress until the wedding day or else, the wedding will not push through. In the past, brides-to-be only get to try on their wedding dress on the day of the wedding. Any alterations and adjustments are done in the 11th hour. But that's not practiced nowadays. And when the time comes when I'll be wed, this will not stop me from trying on my wedding dress for fitting. To me, it's even more bad luck if my wedding dress looks horrible on me. 

6. If your palms get itchy, it means you'll receive money soon. It sounds silly, I know, but guess what? I believe this to be true. *hahaha*

7. It's bad luck to keep a broken glass or mirror inside the house or within your store/business. I remember my mom would freak out if any of us breaks a mirror, she would give us an earful as to how dangerous it is and how this will bring bad luck as she hastily cleans up the fragments and throws it out of the house. And this belief has passed on to us. I remember wigging out when my employee didn't throw out the compact mirror at my accessories shelf the minute the customer accidentally dropped and broke it.

8. Before moving to a new house, one should bring the following to the house in the following order: salt, rice, and water. According to the oldies, doing so will bring in good fortune and positive energy to the household. 

9. The phase of the moon is very significant when planning very important events. In terms of career and in business, the moon's phase is very crucial in the make or break of a certain career move or business venture. We believe that it's good luck to engage in financial investments and career changes during the waxing of the moon rather than in the waning period. 

10. When you meet a funeral procession in the street, throwing a coin will bring you good luck in gambling. The rationale behind this is that, meeting a funeral procession draws in bad spirits towards you, but when you throw a coin, it thwarts the bad spirits away from you and on towards you rivals or enemies. YES I KNOW IT'S SILLY, and I'm no gambler, but what the heck??? I have nothing to lose and more to gain, so yes...  whenever I see a hearse coming towards my direction, I would be fumbling my coin compartment like a maniac and throw the first coin I get my fingers on.


Some of these superstitious beliefs may be similar to yours, or these may seem odd, incredulous, or just downright silly. Now why on earth would you write this sort of stuff, you might ask. Well, just recently, we experienced a loss in our family. My uncle passed away after years of battling and finally succumbing to COPD. And just this morning, we laid him to rest. So yes, that's about a week of observing traditions, customs and an overload of superstitious beliefs. And we're not done yet, there are a few more activities that we are set to observe in the coming days.

So my dearies, if you don't mind me asking: what sort of eccentric superstitious beliefs does your culture practice? Do you abide by them or do you simply ignore them? 

35 comments:

Tarah said...

I am not really superstitious however, everytime my palm itches I get some money. I believe that one.

Mannequins Dream said...

that hair and ladle one is ridiculous!! :P the second i saw the itchy palms one i IMMEDIATELY (purposely) started scratching my palms...now lets see how much money i get!! :P Xx

www.mannequinsdream.blogspot.com

LeeAnne, Style N Season said...

Hahaha, this is hillarious! For me, I make sure that I always close the toilet seats at home and close the bathroom door after use, so my luck won't get flushed away. Dunno if it's silly or not, but I agree it's aethestically correct.

And thanks for your kind comment on my blog. I love thoughtful comments like yours!

LeeAnne, Style N Season
http://stylenseason.blogspot.com

Sam said...

Such an awesome post, thanks for sharing these superstitions. I love learning about other cultures. I've heard of Nr 6 before here in South Africa

laura said...

haha! these are funny. Growing up in the Philippines, I was totally superstitious. but everyone was! Now that I'm much older, I don't believe in stuff like that anymore!

Carrymel said...

Wow, Wi - I haven't heard of half of these! Lol. The salt and rice one is really crazy o.O I have heard about not letting your groom see you in your gown and not breaking mirrors but that's about it. Some superstition that I can't help but find myself believing in include:

Don't split the pole - I *think* it means if you and the person(s) you're walking with don't walk on the same side of the pole/pole-like obstruction, your relationship or friendship won't last.

Holding your breath when driving past a cemetery - so that a spirit doesn't inhabit your body. Duh, lol.

hmmm that's all I've got for now. If I think of any more, I'll let you know. Oh wait - black cats = bad luck. I totally believe that. You know how I feel about cats, lol.


http://carrymel.blogspot.com

Miriam Stella said...

hello! this post is fabulous! have you seen mine? there are new posts outfit, with the must have of this winter 2012. come and see, so tell my what you think! And if you like it, you could follow me! ;-)
Kisses
Miriamstella (from Italy)

http://isfashionmypassion.blogspot.com/

Arrow said...

I am not superstitious but my parents are. They would totally freak if I ever went to bed with wet hair!

Jo said...

Wi,

We have almost all 10 similar superstitions practised here too. What ethnicity are you? Lots of these superstitions seem to be gravitating towards Chinese beliefs.

I had fun reading your thoughts on each superstition and I couldn't help lauging at how much we have in common to diss or respect it. The one thing I don't do is throwing of coin. I didn't know that one. No wonder adults always say don't picky up money on the ground. What they really mean are coings I feel coz once it's a dollar or more, people usually pick up.

I'm With Stupid said...

I've only heard of about half of these. Pretty funny and interesting though. I'm sure there are lots of people who really do believe them.

Jay

Bravoe Runway said...

Oh man...the wet hair thing you too? My mom says I am going to get chronic migraines if I go to bed w/wet hair. OK I mean come on seriously? Some of these superstitions are odd, like don't bang on the pan and trying ur wedding dress on at the last minute? I do have some superstitions, like you should not show ur money, like let people look inside ur wallet..it'll leak fortune. Sorry to hear about the uncle's passing, just don't gamble, it's not a good habit.

Alice (VESTIGIAL WINGS) said...

haha this is a nice list. i dont really believe in any except randomly when im scared or near halloween time!


vestigialwings.blogspot.com

Tam said...

Great post! I go to bed with my hair wet all the time and my mum said I'll get migraines when I'm old. I began getting headaches so I stopped lol (or perhaps i was told the same thing every night so I began believing haha). I have a mole on my eye and never knew about this! I haven't seen any ghost yet but I have sleep paralysis, which again my mother thinks it's a ghost trolling me when I sleep hahahaha.

Nava Krishnan said...

We too have such beliefs Wii, esp when moving house and bringing all those you have mentioned, I did that.

Palms being itchy - left means money going out and right means money coming in, it works for me all the time.

just tututiny said...

OMG - my mother in law is really superstitious. I think I've heard her tell me about all them, some of them include the ones you've posted here. Asian parents - can't live with them and can't live without them and their superstitions ;) Thanks for posting!

http://justtututiny.blogspot.com/
Thu

Empress Za Lemore said...

I am not very superstitious, even though there are somethings I just don't do. I never put my purse on the floor, and always bring in the new year with a clean home, and the first meal of every new year should be collard greens and black eye peas... lol you are right we all have our traditions. some of them stick some of them don't

Love, www.shoeocracy.blogspot.com

Za

Andrea Marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea Marie said...

Awesome post! My parents and other relatives have also mentioned #'s 3,4, & 6 to me. My brother has a dark spot (not sure if it's a mole) in his eye and he's seen a few ghosts mostly when he was younger. Of course, he didn't (and still doesn't) know they were ghosts at the time. He'd describe to my parents who he met or talked to uncannily resembling someone who has passed on..kinda creepy! As for myself, I used to be very superstitious growing up until I fell asleep one time with my hair wet and woke up still being able to see hehe. I've always wondered though how people come up with these things! lol

My condolences to you and your family.

xo andrea
http://peaceloveandreamarie.blogspot.com

October 13, 2011 12:20 PM

suki pooki said...

Great post! I could go on forever about supersitions in my family but I think you've listed the more popular ones but one that I remember my mum telling me was to not step over a male when you have your period LOL When I was younger my dad was sitting on the carpet with his legs stretched out so I stepped over his legs and my mum scolded me!

Mr Lonely said...

sometime i also have superstitions too.. >.<

Regards,
http://www.lonelyreload.com (A Growing Teenager Diary) ..

SassyUptownChic said...

HAHA! Great post Wi! I enjoyed reading these! I don't put my purse on my bed. They say it's bad luck and you'll lose money. I always find myself thinking twice whenever I do "superstitious" things. Whenever my left palm itches I always receive money! So I'm with you there! It's great to see some new ones! Thank you so much for posting! :D
http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/

Blackswan said...

Wi, we can't do the 1st rule on d 3rd day of Chinese New Year. Strictly no sweeping but I cheated!! I don't sweep but vacuum. Hahaha!

I don't follow these old wives tales else I'll go crazy; just too many. Lol!

Mimi said...

this is a very interesting post! i've heard about not sweeping at night, but i still sweep at night, haha. and i am definitely not gonna follow the whole don't try on your wedding gown thing. i agree with you, it's worse if your dress doesn't fit right. ;)

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
Stages of Beauty Giveaway :)

PAPS said...

Well we have very similar one. I think other than about 3 of those we have the same superstitions. My son has a birthmark in his eye. lol
www.thoughtsofpaps.com

Keeping up with E.S.E.M said...

haha cute post!

x

shopstyleconquer.blogspot.com

lhamo Mashutzo said...

i belong to Buddhist culture but going through ur post made it clear that we are connected with each other directly or indirectly despite engaging in different religion and culture....
most of them are like same as we believe...
i found the 3rd one little funny,,,and i do sometimes go to bed with wet hair...lol

Miss Kwong said...

u get blind sleeping with ur hair wet??? Oh JEZ! for Chinese it's just u will get headache.

Follow me on:
Miss Kwong - Art and Fashion

Michelle's Style File said...

Not for me ; )
x
Michelle
www.michellesstylefile.blogspot.com

goodbadnfab@gmail.com said...

Such an entertaining and creative post! I try not to follow superstitious practices but sometimes it's better to err on the safe side and just do it!

Please check out my blog when you get a chance!

www.goodbadandfab.com
the personal style and fashion musings of a LA Asian fashion lawyer living life in the fab lane

Sarah said...

I'm not really superstitious but I don't sit too close to the tv incase I get square eyes :P. I'm also not going to go to bed with wet hair now either.

Sarah
xo

www.almostdelightful.com

Jessica said...

Thanks for your comment cute blog!!

http://chicgeekblogger.blogspot.com/

Please take a minute to look at my trunkshow;

http://iouproject.com/tsh/jessica-karen/

Momo said...

I really enjoy reading you =)


Momo,
Let me dream

dina vanessa mercado said...

yah in the Filipino culture, old folks do believe in superstitious beliefs especially those living in the provinces. i believed we got this from the spaniards, don't you think? but as for me whatever people believe in, we should respect it and never ever question, ignore or say bad things about it... enjoyed your blog! sooo educational!! following you now.. hope you could visit my blog too..

http://voguelyvan.blogspot.com

ENTER MY INTERNATIONAL GIVEAWAY! WIN A SATCHEL AND FABULOUS ACCESSORIES! HERE'S THE LINK--> http://voguelyvan.blogspot.com/2011/09/september-october-international.html

songbird said...

i have also grown up with some of these..i haven't seen any of them coming true..but i watch out for black cats crossing my path when i am going somewhere important..

Translation services said...

That is an excellent post.I have read few of articles here and can say it was really interesting, thanks for sharing this.