Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Things I'm Thankful For

It's almost Thanksgiving Day over at the US. I'm sure you guys are all excited to finally spend some time with your families and loved ones over good food. And even though we don't celebrate Thanksgiving over here, it doesn't mean I can't take a while to pause and muse about the things I am thankful for.

I am thankful for... The Gift of Life. 

FOBbin' it up at Yeppoon, QLD
Though I wince whenever someone asks how old I am,  still I am thankful to have lived this long. After having struggled and survived a natural catastrophe that had almost killed me and my family, I now look at my age as something to be thankful for, and not as something to be embarrassed about. 

I am thankful for... The Gift of Joy.

With Orin the Cat who's all grown up now
Life is full of ups and downs. There are instances when the odds are so unfairly against us. But then again, life isn't always full of sorrow and pain. There's no single person in this world, living or dead, who did not come across struggles at least once in their lifetime. I am thankful that I see things in this light now because finally, I have found joy amidst the trials and disappointments I have faced. And now, when I look back, I had lived quite a colourful and carefree life; not everyone has the privilege to indulge in that. 

I am thankful for... The Gift of Family.

Mi Familia
Though we are not a perfect family (I doubt if there's one), I am thankful that at the midst of our imperfections, they are my source of joy, inspiration and strength. They were there when I was at my lowest of lows, gave me the strength to stand up, and they were always there to cheer me on and give me a pat on my back during my triumphs. They have been supportive and always encouraging, and I know someday, I can finally give back and show my gratitude for all the things they've done for me.

I am thankful for... The Gift of Friends.

These girls have my back. Ancient photo, btw, circa 2003
When I was younger, I had tons of friends. But as I grew older, the number dwindled as my age flourished. Now don't let this sound off warning bells, this doesn't mean that I am a despicable person (lol). It simply means that I was able to separate the wheat from the chaff, and stayed with the better ones. And even though my circle of friends isn't that vast, I am confident that each and every friend within that circle are friends I can trust with my life.

I am thankful for... The Gift of Hope.

Someday I'll hug you again Koala ;)

Though I wish to elaborate on this, I would rather not. I am very superstitious and I believe that talking about things before they have ever come to realize might jinx it. In the past, I was never so optimistic, believing that this would save me from all the drama and the heartbreak in case things don't turn out the way I wanted them to go. But ever since I did a revamp on my perspective of life, things have been looking and going good so far. And I am so grateful that I was able to humble myself and let my Creator work his magic. I have done everything that's humanly possible, the puck stops there for me, it's all up to Him now and... let Thy will be done. And whatever happens, whether it's a yay or a nay, I can finally accept, without acting like a spoiled little brat, that things happen for a reason.

And lastly, I am thankful for... The Gift of Love.

See you soon, mate :)
Clich├ęd as it is, but we only seem to pray when things have gone awry.  During those crucial times when things seem to be going nowhere but downhill for me, for the first time, I thought to myself: maybe I was praying for the wrong things. Then one day I sat down and prayed that my Creator send me someone who will make me happy. I wasn't really serious about it, I actually took it as one of those nonchalant prayer/conversation with Him. But boy was He quick to respond, and brought Sunshine into my life. Though our time together was brief for I had to go back to my home country, he still manages to make my life sunny and bright despite the distance. It's not easy as long distance relationships are a killer (I don't recommend it lol) but bottom line: I'm happy.  And I know, soon, really soon, he and I can pick up where we left off and hopefully, move on and weave ourselves our happy ending. If it doesn't work out that way, well then at least he kept me focused on my journey and filled it with hope. Because without that hope he's injected into my life, I would've totally given up on my dream of going back to Aussie pies. 

Haha... I know, I know... This was such a sappy post, sheesh >.<" But once in a while, It's good to sit back and take a moment or two to think of what we're thankful for. Sometimes, our heads are so full of what we yearn for that we don't get  to appreciate the things that we have. There's so much to be thankful for; we just have to take time to see all the goodness surrounding us despite all the struggles we face on a daily basis.

Advanced Happy Thanksgiving to all of you, my dears. Hope y'all have a wonderful and memorable celebration with the most important people of your lives, whoever they may be. :)


P.S. Do share your 2 cents on this: What are you most thankful for?

34 comments:

SassyUptownChic said...

Wi, this post was so beautiful girl. I loved reading your thoughts and looking at your pictures. Your family is beautiful. You truly favor your mom. She's really pretty and so are you. I've gone through the same thing with "friends". Just know you rather have a few good ones that are sincere, than LOTS that are not. I only go by people's actions, NEVER there words. Finally, your boyfriend is soooo cute. You two make the perfect couple. I truly like his aura. Have a great day! ((HUG))

http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/

Little Ms. Fun said...

You truly are a gem! You hit everything right on in this post. The gift of life, joy, and family/fiends are truly thing to be thankful for.

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

A truly precious post. So nice to read and know the things you are thankful for. I, too, am thankful for the gift of life, family, love and nature. I'm just catching up on all your posts;-)

aki! said...

This is great. As these stories of Thanks start to pop up, it's incredible to think about what basic things we have and frankly, what a lot of other people lack. Everyone's story and life is different, so even if it's family and friends and love, it never gets old!

Amanda Nguyen said...

such great things to be thankful for! and love the photos!

<3Amanda
feast.fashion.faves
Facebook
Tweet Me!

There is nothing in this world that is new.. said...

the young people from US. visited our school yesterday and told us about thanksgiving, before i didn't know about that very much, but now I'm smarter! :D

Happy thanksgiving! :)

songbird said...

this was not sappy..this was very touching!i don't know what disaster you survived but i am getting horrific ideas..
you have a great family and the love of your life must be very lucky!you look like a young girl of 20 so don't bother about the number..it is happiness that i want in life and i hope you get that too!life has obstacles but it is these touching things that make it worth living..happy thanksgiving even though neither of us are celebrating it :D!!

Sam said...

You are so right hun, we don't need a reason to be thankful, we should be anyways. A beautiful and inspirational post, I really like what you've written about friends and family. You are your beau make the sweetest couple!

TiasaurausRex said...

This is such a cute post... I love thanksgiving so you can look back and think about all your blessings and how happy you are to have them.. I really did enjoy reading this. I just stumbled across your blog and I love it! i think we should follow eachother, do you agree? :]
http://tiasauraus.blogspot.com/
*following you now*

just tututiny said...

Awww - awesome post you sappy one ;) Looks like your life is complete now Wi! Mines is too and I am so thankful for that, but after seeing all the sexy photos of SSH - I am yearning for one more ;) HAHAHA, just kidding. I know you don't celebrate Thanksgiving where you are but hope that you have a wonderful time spent with your family and friends!

Kim L said...

Great post Wii! you and boy are both so cute together! :) hopefully you two will reunite soon, i know how difficult long distance relationship can be.

I really am thankful for internet!!! :) :) :)
without it, I wouldn't have so many awesome blogs to read, like urs.

xoxo
accidental encounters

Blackswan said...

Struggled & survived a natural catastrophe? Gosh! Wi, I'm so glad u're well & blessed with a beautiful family now. Hey, your boyfriend is cute!

Happy Thanksgiving & thks for sharing! I'm thankful for having a loving hubby & an adorable son. Really, I am :)

Lizzy said...

Hey Wi!

It's Thanksgiving already? Time sure flies fast :P i don't celebrate Thanksgiving but it's still good to stop and thank Him of all the blessings He blessed us with. This is such a sweet post! Don't think it's sappy at all :P I'm too young to be in love but I pray that He will send someone near perfect (:P) in the future :D

Happy Thanksgiving Wi :)
xoxo
Lizzy

SippingGreenTea said...

This is such a sweet post, I think we can all take some time to appreciate the important things in our lives. As the world moves faster and our ambitions for things grow bigger, it's so easy to lose sight of the greater things in life.
Thank you for sharing this with all of us :)!
xx

Michelle's Style File said...

Simply beautiful post!

x
Michelle
www.michellesstylefile.blogspot.com

Miss Kwong said...

happy thanksgiving beautiful! Im glad to see you being so thankful to so many things, life is beautiful.

Follow me on:
Miss Kwong - Art and Fashion

adamalexmommy.com (Jasmine) said...

hey, girl - this is a very inspirational post. i really enjoyed reading it, and yes, there's a lot to be thankful. :) i have to say getting to know you is definitely something to be thankful for... you are truly a sweetie... :) hope you have a fantastic rest of the week!

xoxo
jas

kcomekarolina said...

cute!!!


xoxo from rome
K.
http://kocmekarolina.com/

Bravoe Runway said...

Happy Thanksgiving Wii, even though I know you are probably not having turkey, it's always good to appreciate the things we have in life. This is a wonderful post and I had no idea you were once in a natural disaster! You have a wonderful family, and how cute is that cat!! This guy sounds fantastic, I hope it all works out. Though I've never been in a long distance relationship, I've heard it is tough. However, if it is meant to work it, it will!

Za Lemore said...

That was super sweet, it looks like you have plenty to be thankful for!

I have spent my whole thanksgiving with my family eating drinking and being extra merry.


Love, www.shoeocracy.blog.spot.com

Za

Jo said...

Aww... so sweet. I love this post a lot. It's really sincere and I could really feel your thanx. You know what? I would have written a thank you post with a lot of heading similar to yours! I really really feel my voice in yours too.

Thank you for your lovely comment on my hair transformation throughout the years. I was grinning while reading. But oh, my hair is no longer black like what you like. Check out my newest blog post.

Happy thanksgiving!

PAPS said...

It is not a soppy post. In fact it was a great post and it started to make me think about a few things I am thankful for.
www.thoughtsofpaps.com

Punk Chopsticks said...

LOL AWESOME post!!! Ahahaha your family and friends look amazing! What do you mean by natural catastrophe? The tsunami?

Ulrika said...

I just love these "I'm thankful for"-posts.

Happy thanksgiving. :)

Kisses!
/U
pug-a-licious

paledivision said...

Hun, you're such a cutieeee!
Happy Thanksgiving too have a beautiful day :)
PS. This post is wayyy sweet (:
xo
http://paledivision.blogspot.com/

Pop Champagne said...

aww this is a sweet post!! happy thanksgiving dear!

Mikimoto Angel said...

In general, we have the same things that we're thankful for. I thank God for letting us experience a different kind of happiness, and that's what we get for believing in Him. Happy Thanksgiving. :-)

Much love from Mystic Nymph.

Fashionistable said...

What a wonderful post. I am happy for love, life and happiness. Hope things work out for you and your man when he returns you look wonderful together. Xxxx

laura said...

Wi, YES! Great minds DO think alike! hahahaha. Love this post, dear. It makes mine look vapid, but I assure you, I'm not as superficial as I seem to be (or am i? hahaha)

Long distance relationships are a bitch. I know since my husband and I were apart for 9 months during our engagement period. And even just THAT, my friend, killed me a little bit inside. but all is good now, and it'll pass. Just keep positive!

♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights

Ask Erena said...

What a wonderful and inspiring post! You sound very wise and mature. And the age is...... just a number:-)
hugs from New York,
xx
Ask Erena
http://askerena.blogspot.com/

SECRETE INTERVIU said...

you have a great life, happy thanks giving and keep spirit!!

Fabrizia said...

Nice post, I like it so much! These photos are so beautiful!!!

Fox House giveaway on my blog!
Take a look and if you like follow me, I’ll be waiting for you: Cosa mi metto???

LeeAnne, Style N Season said...

This is a very beautiful post! I love it! Oooooowwwwwwwwwww, so you're in a long distance rel huh. I was in one, we broke up but not because of the distance, hahaha!
It was more Texas-FLorida thingy though, not intercontinent like yours. Amen for the happy ending!

Visit me:
LeeAnne, Style N Season
http://stylenseason.blogspot.com

k come karolina said...

cool!!! love these pics!!!



xoxo from rome
K.
http://kcomekarolina.com/